Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Hydraulic Flat Tappet VS Hydraulic Roller - Crane 276 and 2030

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just wondering if anybody here has any real world experience and knowledge of roller cams vs hydraulic cams in the context of Holden V8's (5L in particular).

I'm aware of the benefits of a roller cam, but I'm just a little unsure of how well the specs of a roller cam translate to a flat tappet cam. For example, for a cam with the same specs in both types, could similar power and driveability be expected? For example, comparing the crane 276 flat tappet to the crane compucam 2030. The suggested basic rpm ranges suggest that there's a fair bit of difference in torque/driveability between the two.

Here are the specs for the compucam 2030.
[email protected]: 214/214 Adv Dur: 278/278 L/C: 112 Valve Lift: .464/.464
Rev range 1600-5000

Here are the specs for the 276.
[email protected]: 214/214 Adv Dur: 276/276 L/C: 110 Valve Lift: .464/.464
Rev Range 1800-4500

The basic question is, will the 2030 be a better cam for the street and perhaps outperform the 276?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Stop over thinking it, get a roller cam, get a roller cam of a reputable maker, ask the maker which cam best suits your needs...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That is a really crap roller cam and has worse numbers than the 276 FT cam.

A proper roller cam that has the same .050" specs should have a lot less duration at .006" and have have more lift throughout the entire curve.

The whole point of a roller cam is that for a given duration it can lift the valve faster and higher, that roller cam above does neither and isn't worth the effort.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Stop over thinking it, get a roller cam, get a roller cam of a reputable maker, ask the maker which cam best suits your needs...
I don't think I'm overthinking anything? Certainly worth asking for opinions before spending any money. Not sure if you're confusing me for somebody else.

Thanks inmortality. Found a 304 roller engine a couple of weeks ago and am just assessing options. I'll probably strip it and piece it back together to keep as a spare. Not too much info on roller cammed Holden v8's around.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
To make it simplistic, you should be able to fit a hydro roller cam with less advertised duration than a flat tappet cam which will idle better but still make more power than the FT cam.

What really works with the roller cams is that because they have much less advertised duration to make similar power you can get away with less compression (because the roller cam doesn't bleed off as much cylinder pressure as a FT cam does).

TBH I really know stuff all about cams, if you want good advice on a V8 camshaft your best bet are the guys on the AV8 forum.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
TBH I've never noticed much difference in performance from small cams to factory cams including hsv 268 things other than the way idle sounds.

Unless they get good compression bump up reckon shorter diff gears/stally etc makes more of a difference thsn cam swap.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cheers mate, haven't pulled apart yet so there's every chance somebody may have put a ft cam in there already. I'll try to get into it on Monday night and see what I find.

I might contact Clive cams during the week to get some prices and advice anyway.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
TBH I've never noticed much difference in performance from small cams to factory cams including hsv 268 things other than the way idle sounds.

Unless they get good compression bump up reckon shorter diff gears/stally etc makes more of a difference thsn cam swap.
I've got a 3000rpm converter here, but I don't think I need it with the crane 268 and the current engine :p

Plus, I'm saving that converter for my HJ lol. I drove my vq stock and I seriously reckon it was slower than my ecotec vs. Maybe something was amiss with the tune though. That cars gone now though.

I'll eventually put 3.45's in it when I find some for a decent price.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Probably need to figure out what you want to achieve and then spec the cam/compression to suit.

But with a properly spec'd HR cam you will get more power with a better behaved engine than a comparable FT cam without the stress of worrying about cam run-out and wiping a lobe at some stage.

That 3000rpm converter would suit something like a 286....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah, the reliability of the roller cam really appeals to me. It's only a daily driver, so it won't be anything special if all goes ahead. Only thing is that most of the off the shelf grinds are .550"+ lift which means machining the heads and double springs.

The hj's my play car, and plan is to put the 3000rpm converter in that with some 3.55 gears, early heads and a 226. The auto needs some attention before I start chasing more power though.