Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hydraulic Lifter opinions/recommendations.

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
Hi, I posted this in another forum. I am looking for feedback from past experience.

Looking for opinions on the quality of flat tappet hydraulic lifters on the market today. I want to install new lifters when I replace my manifold and am looking at what is available. I run a C.O.M.E CSBH222 camshaft in a 383 stroker.

I have been told that there are really only 2 manufactures for after market lifters. I have used Speed Pro (Federal Mogul) in other engines and found them to be noisy and to bleed down quickly. Options I see are:
1/ Original AC Delco lifters from holden.
2/ After market Speed Pro or Crane lifters. Does any one know if crane and speed pro are manufactured from different stock?

What about anti-pump lifters, are they necessary and are they noisy. I would have thought that standard type lifters would be good to the 6000rpm level.

Would appreciate experienced operators input...

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
So, no one has any good or bad experiences with the lastest hydraulic lifters on the market today?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I use genuine Holden lifters in the 304 engine in my race car
(with a Crane 286 cam)...no problems at all (and it gets revv'd to 65-6700ish)

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
When I got my 253 rebuilt I bought Nason lifters to go in it (come as a package with my cam and springs), never heard of them but they seem to do the job....and that's revving to 6500rpm. Those only cost around $50 a set I rekon.

Genuine ones retail for $192.32 a set from Holdens, or per lifter is $12.02.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
When I got my 253 rebuilt I bought Nason lifters to go in it (come as a package with my cam and springs), never heard of them but they seem to do the job....and that's revving to 6500rpm. Those only cost around $50 a set I rekon.

Genuine ones retail for $192.32 a set from Holdens, or per lifter is $12.02.

LOl danny thats our company we make then and use them in all our motor yes theyre cheap (just like most **** from india:)) but they seem to work well enough and everything is made as per factory spec even our roller ones are good

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I put Speed Pro lifters in my VN 5 litre when i rebuilt it, and as you said, they are noisy and bleed down really quickly (overnight) and when sitting on high revs for a period of time i.e towing a tandem trailer up a steep hill. I wouldn't use them again, i'd go with the Crane.

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
Thanks for the reply's. I may give the original AC Delco units a go.