Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hydraulic lifter replacement

andy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Commodore Executive....and a London bus
What do you guys reckon a full set of hydraulic lifters would cost to replace? Mine are noisy and need to be changed. Thanks in advance.

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
Hi i was just interested in the noise that your lifters are making. I have a bit of noise in my V6 and i thought it might be the lifters. Thanks.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
you might find its the valve springs
ive got a spare set of lifters sitting in my room..
you should beable to get lifters cheaply from the wreckers, just find a car with low km, take them home, soak them in oil for about 3 days then slap them in...

if i were u id check the rockers aswell, but bascially to remove the lifters its piss easy,

step1. take the rocker covers off
step2. unbolt all rockers
step3. remove pushrods
step4. put new ones in and bolt it back together

nothin to it really, would take around 30 mins -1 hour

get a compression test and see if all cyclidners/ one cyclinder is down on compression. because if its pushrods they will be down on compression due to the valves not getting opened properly.....

but yeah how many km has the engine done??? valve springs tend to wear out around this age....

valve springs = $220 new

as for lifters, you shouldnt need new ones unless one is bent, and even then second hand ones will do...

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
i think he talking about the lifters, not the pushrods, but yeah i got quoted $4.20 each, trade price, they dont normally go unless the car has run out of oil or been thrashed alot, im not quite sure what else, someone else may help there,

cheers, nick

andy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
mischf said:
Hi i was just interested in the noise that your lifters are making. I have a bit of noise in my V6 and i thought it might be the lifters. Thanks.
Its a metal-type sound, unfortunately so are many other problems. I went to my mechanic with another problem, and asked hime what he thought that noise was. I'd already looked at about a million things by that stage.

andy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
potshots007 said:
i think he talking about the lifters, not the pushrods, but yeah i got quoted $4.20 each, trade price, they dont normally go unless the car has run out of oil or been thrashed alot, im not quite sure what else, someone else may help there,

cheers, nick

I think there is some sludging in this motor, could be why the lifters are stuffed? You're probably right that the springs r shot too, my dad's VN isnt making pleasant noises either (and his is well maintained/not thrashed)

andy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
PaRaDoX616 said:
you might find its the valve springs
ive got a spare set of lifters sitting in my room..
you should beable to get lifters cheaply from the wreckers, just find a car with low km, take them home, soak them in oil for about 3 days then slap them in...

if i were u id check the rockers aswell, but bascially to remove the lifters its piss easy,

step1. take the rocker covers off
step2. unbolt all rockers
step3. remove pushrods
step4. put new ones in and bolt it back together

nothin to it really, would take around 30 mins -1 hour

get a compression test and see if all cyclidners/ one cyclinder is down on compression. because if its pushrods they will be down on compression due to the valves not getting opened properly.....

but yeah how many km has the engine done??? valve springs tend to wear out around this age....

valve springs = $220 new

as for lifters, you shouldnt need new ones unless one is bent, and even then second hand ones will do...

200,000 kms only!