Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Hydraulic power steering remote mount filter - VZ Install

IPCOlsenVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Commodore Equipe
Installation was done on a VZ V6 but can be adapted to suit other applications.

Duration: 1 day

Remove the steel line between the cooler and the reservoir. Fluid in the system will drain. Remove the reservoir from the vehicle and clean the screen inside at the bottom if required.
SvIqfIx.jpg

Mount housing (Derale) to the same steel channel. Permatex Thread Sealant on the fittings.
C5qVWYs.jpg

My bracket is not the best but it does the job for now. Rubber pad to absorb vibration, blue thread locker on the bolts.

Join up to the existing rubber hose to the reservoir, I already had a large external cooler (not factory) for the PS so I joined on to that line.
iLHVv17.jpg

Many options with adding senders & gauges. In the future I will probably add a pressure gauges either side of the filter to monitor restriction.

Original filter in the kit I wasn't sure if it has a bypass valve. I have a few so I will cut one open at a later date to inspect quality. Currently using a Bosch filter which has a bypass valve built in and is longer, heavier and appeared better quality.
ZSMD2wb.jpg

Uc0ahk4.jpg

When refilling (Dexron III / Transmax Z) have both front wheels off the ground, engine off and turn wheels lock to lock to help fill the system. Start engine and repeat filling process.

Anyway its just a guide to filter the fluid and also increase the volume of the system. Plenty of room there to customise yourself with brackets, filter sizes and gauges.

1 thing to note: When changing the filter in the future I will have to clamp the hoses both sides of the filter or the system will drain and I will have to re-bleed the system. I would have liked to have had the filter vertical as well but it would have hung below the car.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Damn clever, nice quality pics. I've been keen to add this mod to my VYII for some time. You've given me a push I think. Well done.