Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hydrogen Powered Commodores - Not so far away?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Charg'd (sexy vn chick lover) said:
yay someone understands me, but on a serious note, it would almost be impossible to phase it out, i mean there is so many types & so much relying on the use of petrol, i dont think we will see it in this lifetime.

I think you'd be quite suprised...I reckon they were saying things like this when the motor car was introduced to take over from the horse ;)

@Shaggerz....

Yeah I agree with the points you brought up.... but for it to work effectively the whole world needs to implement this instead of just the first world countries progressing while the disadvantaged countries implement our old ways... and I can't see that happening while conflicts still exist between countries.

What we need is a radical change to the governments of the world...Governments need to be formed together under the single one government for the preservation of humanity... the way it is going now if these conflict aren't settled soon and any anti-government terrorists manage to acquire nuclear devises the results will be worse than what we saw in WW2.

It's been a while since I've studied Physics... but there is a even cleaner energy than Nuclear... thats "Fusion" Power... it involves crashing atoms together within a magnetic field to produce energy in the same way that our Sun gives out energy.

Some more info here

Last edited:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
1991_Vn2nV said:
...The BMW 7 Series Hydrogen 7 Saloon is powered by a 260 hp twelve-cylinder engine and accelerates from 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 9.5 seconds...

Man, that's pretty sluggish. BMW 7 Series are supposed to be fairly quick cars too, so I'd hate to think how slow a normal (say Toyota Echo equivalent) car would be.

I know many greenies etc. would flame me, but until they can make something at least as quick as my VY SS - be it electric, hydrogen, nuclear or whatever I'd be reluctant to change fuel source. Oh, and it would have to be as big and comfy and sound as nice as my car too...None of these eco-friendly pocket cars that sound like vacuum cleaners! ;)

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I agree davey g-force... I will NOT be abandoning petrol until an equally powerful alternative is found! And it has to sound beautiful. None of this electric car crap.

sixshooter: politics must be your arena my friend :D

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
shaggerz said:
sixshooter: politics must be your arena my friend :D

Not really... I just saw the horror of the 9/11 incident televised in a doco on TV the other night... they brought up the speculation..."What if those planes were carrying nuclear devises..."

If we've got countries in this world that hate each others guts that bad... How can the world progress...?....How long must the the world suffer ?...
I find it's a really sad situation where all trust and respect is lost... and all thats left is war.

:rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip::rip:

Girl Torque

VL Calais 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais.. etc
this is quite interesting :)
Another query - what if all houses had soloar panels? (ha ha - I know rather far fetched) It would 'work' though wouldn't it?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Yes that is an alternative also. And although I am unsure about whether sufficient power could be generated this way, one thing I am sure of is that it is hellish expensive and requires maintenance to keep the panels clean so that optimal light transfer occurs.

A similar solution is being implemented in Queensland to help solve the water crisis. All new homes constructed these days are required by law to incorporate rainwater tanks. A similar mandate could be applied to solar power, if it weren't for the massive cost of installing and maintaining such a system.

Solar panels on every roof are good solution, but the difficult part is cost. Who pays for it? The option is available right now for people to completely disconnect their houses from the power grid and be completely self sufficient through the use of solar power. In fact, a workmate of mine uses solar power and he has an arrangement where he actually contributes power that he does not use back into the grid, which energex pays him for. The amount he is paid does not come close to making up for the cost of the system and its maintenance however.

A good solution, but it requires people to think of the environment before they think of their hip pocket. Unfortunately, in today's economy, the environment has no value.

The best most of us can manage is to pay that little extra on our electricity bill each quarter that energex promises to put into environmentally friendly power generation. I have opted in to this program and I can only hope that enough people will do this to really make a difference.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Girl Torque said:
this is quite interesting :)
Another query - what if all houses had soloar panels? (ha ha - I know rather far fetched) It would 'work' though wouldn't it?

I seen a house on TV which was equiped with solar panels on the roof hooked up to a battery of batteries and some special type of electrical meter box. It only used electricity from the power grid during wintery cloudy days...all the other times the meter box ran another clock which counted the over supply of electricity from the solar panels back into the grid. It wasn't totally self sufficient but it was close...the owner only had to pay a small amount for power use during the winter...as he was credited power use from what he had fed back into the power grid during summer.

Girl Torque

VL Calais 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais.. etc
personally I will be doing this myself (sufficient solar panelling to run our house and shed) as I would like to be completely self sufficient (we already have rain water plumbed to our system). It's a fair outlay though, and most really couldn't budget that in... I'd love to see the systems get cheaper, it'd be the way to go.
Keep up the discussion peoples - interesting stuff :)

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
As it's been said, cost is all that matters in this world anymore. Corporations rely on profits and are encouraged to profit as much as possible by governments. Australia and America haven't even signed onto the kyoto treaty. That's a massive statement in my opinion. The initial costs can be large - yes.. but in the long run wouldn't it be a more efficient economy? Anyhow, profits are relative. If everyone has the same (scaled) costs then profit margins viewed from company to company are unaffected? I'm kinda on a ramble without a clear way to go but..

Didn't know about all that info on Nuclear power. I never cringed at the idea but I always had negative connotations towards it whenever it was mentioned. The vast majority of people would have similar reactions I'm guessing. It's unfortunate that governments are willing to deny information to the public, or worse - lie about information - to appear better in the public eye. I think it's more about maintaining power than implementing legislation that is genuinely good for the country.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
Electric Cars Do The Quarter Mile In 5 ... FIVE SECONDS..

seen it on tv the other night... this yank is coming here to ozz soon to tell us about it... just get any rear drive 4 cylinder car, put it electric motor... do the quarter drag in 5 secs... also his electric cars go 400 to 500 klms before recharging...