Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hydrogen Powered Commodores - Not so far away?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
BMW have announced that NEXT YEAR they will be selling the worlds first hydrogen powered car in serial production.

The specially equipped 7-Series executive cars emit only water vapor when running on hydrogen. The car hits the market next April and will be shown at the Los Angeles car show in November, the company said. It had said in March the hydrogen cars would arrive within two years.

The BMW 7 Series Hydrogen 7 Saloon is powered by a 260 hp twelve-cylinder engine and accelerates from 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 9.5 seconds. Top speed is limited electronically to 230 km/h.

Now General Motors is partnered with BMW and another 2 car companies I believe in researching and testing Hydrogen engines and technology... and GM has said themselves that they plan to release Hydrogen powered cars in 2009. So with this technology seemingly available...Will we see a Hydrogen Powered Commodore in 2012 when the next platform Commodore is released?

Girl Torque

VL Calais 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais.. etc
The VE was planned 9 years ago or something, so there's a very good chance that something like this is very much already set and planned :) THe goverment has given the manufacturers money to look at alternative fuels etc I beleive... so I think we'll see some good stuff soon :)

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
The push for alternative fuels is becoming more and more stronger just about everyday. I think we will be seeing the hydrogen powered vehicles slowing popping up everywhere, but it will only be for the rich and famous for quite awhile yet.

I'm curious as which of the 2 forms of 'hydrogen' that the car manufacturers are mainly using would be the better one.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, these cars themselves are very costly to produce, which in turn will most likely make them ridiculously expensive to buy.

And to make it more possible to distribute these types of vehicles, the current petrol system would have to be at least significantly replaced with hydrogen fuel stations. And if it gets replaced completely like some "experts" are recommending, what does that mean for the rest of us who will probably never own a hydrogen powered vehicle? Sounds like it the whole venture itself is going to be very costly.....

So who knows when a hydrogen commodore will be introduced? Maybe they wait until the whole 'hydrogen' thing is up and running completely.....If it even goes that far.

Last edited:

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
maybe it will just be phased out like leaded petrol? I dont mean exactly the same way, but you get my drift............. i hope

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, i know what you mean, phased out, but at a slower pace than leaded fuel was.

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
yay someone understands me, but on a serious note, it would almost be impossible to phase it out, i mean there is so many types & so much relying on the use of petrol, i dont think we will see it in this lifetime.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I guess it'll be a case of supply to demand. The more hydrogen vehicles there are, the more hydrogen petrol stations they'll need. But yeah like you said, i think it's unlikely we'll see a day where petrol stations are no more....

Oh and of course I understand you. Silly......

Girl Torque

VL Calais 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais.. etc
I think it will be interesting to see what occurs etc.. as people like my hubby and myself who have a couple of 'classics' as well as 70's and 80's street machines, will need to have petrol /or a sufficient replacement to run all these motors. An alternative fuel that can run with minimal adjustment in motors we already have would be fantastic...
in Vanuatu there's a few cars running on coconut oil.. though emission wise I dunno how good it is - lol!

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Since it is possible to produce hydrogen from water, they should design cars where you fill them up with water, connect them to a power socket in the garage over night, and the car just creates its own fuel while you sleep from the water, as well as emitting oxygen gasses! :p

This would ofcourse use a lot of power world wide, which brings me to the point of: we need to build Nuclear Power stations.

This way neither cars nor powerstations would be producing noxious gasses! V8s for everyone!!!