Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

i bought my vx berlina

lockmac

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Well I pick up my VX berlina on Saturday. Just wandering if you guys could help me out here...
The exhaust system isn't standard- its a 2.5inch Catbank system and basically I cannot stand the loud drown sound that it makes so I want to really have it sounding back how it was at stock. How would I do this? Would I have to buy myself a stock exhaust or what do I need to change? And where would I get the parts needed?

Many thanks

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Hey everyone. Well I pick up my VX berlina on Saturday. Just wandering if you guys could help me out here...
The exhaust system isn't standard- its a 2.5inch Catbank system and basically I cannot stand the loud drown sound that it makes so I want to really have it sounding back how it was at stock. How would I do this? Would I have to buy myself a stock exhaust or what do I need to change? And where would I get the parts needed?

Many thanks
Go to any muffler workshop and they'd probably have one laying around. You'll lose alot of throttle response if you revert back to the standard system though.

Why don't you just replace the rear resonator with a hotdog resonator, it'll still give you a growl under throttle, but you won't have a drone.

lockmac

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Well this will sound weird but when I drove it.. it seemed as if it had less power and response for a Berlina.. i know this because ive been driving a VT calais and a VX2 calais for the past 2 years..

Infin8

VXIIBerlina 'Chrome Spec'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXIIBERLINA
agree with above, just change the resonator - would be cheaper & would make it softer. as far as power goes, the system might not have been installed properly or maybe it hasnt been tuned??? should def. have more power than a VT Calais, but would have less power than a VX Calais...hope to see some pics when you get it :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Infin8

lockmac

Reaction score
Thanks. Im sorry but I really have no clue what a resinator is.. and is it going to be expensive?

Any help here appreciated thanks guys

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
definetly put a hot dog in. I got one i on my car instead of normal resinator when i got my 2.5 cat back on and it sounds alot better than with a normal resinator, u get very little if any drone(i compared both when they were fitting it). They cant cost that much cos i got whole exhaust for $350 with oval hsv tip.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Thanks. Im sorry but I really have no clue what a resinator is.. and is it going to be expensive?

Any help here appreciated thanks guys

A new resonator is around $150 or so, and maybe $50 to get it fitted?

Compare that to acquiring a complete standard exhaust system which may cost you nothing or anywhere up to $200, and to get it fitted which would be at least $100.

lockmac

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

I have sorta taken a liking to the sound.. but really, i only like the sound when im accelerating to 100 kms..but i really cannot stand the sound when im driving and accelerating just around roads (its way too noisy you can barely hear anyone speaking in the car!)... so if I got a hotdog.. would i still have a nice growl but not too loud when im just cruising around the place?

I know this may sound too picky and hard to explain, but I really have no idea of the limitations of exhausts systems, and really don't know anything about them

Any help would be much appreciated