Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I changed my auto transmission and the starter motor sounds like it's hitting the flex plate

Mick rooster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore
When you change your auto tranny in a vs V6 from half bellhousing to a full bellhousing do you have to also change starter motor cause mine is hitting when car is running or just shim it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Please keep everything together in one thread seeing as these questions are all about the same issue. I have merged your new threads into your original one!

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
only difference is auto or manual for a v6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TBH, I'm wondering if there is a difference between the older V6 and newer V6 starter motors. Maybe a you need a late model one to match the style of bellhousing for the transmission? For some reason I keep remembering someone modified their starter to make it fit when doing a trans swap but I just can't quiet remember what or where it was. Might need to track down some pictures of the later style starter motors and see if they are greatly different around the throw out extension housing.

Really? I'd say a decent performance shop should stock various shims as a lot of aftermarket style starters need them to make them fit properly. Or go to the wreckers and pull one out of a Commodore there.
i tried all three wreckers in Launceston and no one had a shim. Thanks for the heads up i will try an engine builder.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I honestly think that not all Buicks came out with shims, one because, one wrecker said he has never seen one and two they had 30 starter motors on the shelf but no shims.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thinking logically about this, you are using your original starter with the original flex plate on the same motor. As long as you have put it all back together as it came apart there is not reason for the starter pinion to hit the flex plate. If that is the case it might be the starter housing is getting some interference on the new bellhousing. pull the starter out and look for some new shiny witness marks. A touch up with a file might be all that is required.

i tried all three wreckers in Launceston and no one had a shim. Thanks for the heads up i will try an engine builder.

Bugger for you. It can't be to bad if you're driving it as is?

only difference is auto or manual for a v6

Yep, a quick google search shows me the same thing.

I honestly think that not all Buicks came out with shims, one because, one wrecker said he has never seen one and two they had 30 starter motors on the shelf but no shims.

They would only have fitted a shim if it was needed. The correct way to fit a starter motor is to do so with the transmission off so you can check the pinion to ring gear clearance. Once this is checked/set then you fit the transmission and starter etc. Shims are just used to adjust for factory machining tolerances and variation in starter motor housing casting etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bugger for you. It can't be to bad.
nah it only makes this weird type of running on noise, like its not stopping straight away in the winter. Couple of members said to try fitting a shim. Weird that it only does it in sub zero temps.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
nah it only makes this weird type of running on noise, like its not stopping straight away in the winter. Couple of members said to try fitting a shim. Weird that it only does it in sub zero temps.

Not really, when things are really cold clearances tighten up ever so much.