Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I changed my auto transmission and the starter motor sounds like it's hitting the flex plate

Mick rooster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore
I changed my auto transmission and it sounds like the starter is hitting the flex plate

Mick rooster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore
I put a new auto trans in my vs and starter motor sounds like it's hitting flywheel also box was different so wondering if this is why had gearbox with inspection plate new one is full bellhousing car runs but starter motor is making a rattling sound

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I suggest you post one comprehensive thread with all the relevant information rather than posting multiple threads which is against forum rules. That and a little patience...

It also sounds like you have used a later model transmission, there are a couple of other members who have done this, hopefully once they see this thread they can chime in.

Also, are you using the correct bolts for the starter? Some starter motors also have a shim between the starter and block, if there is no shim I would try adding one and see what it does.

Mick rooster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore
Does anyone know why a start
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I suggest you post one comprehensive thread with all the relevant information rather than posting multiple threads which is against forum rules. That and a little patience...

It also sounds like you have used a later model transmission, there are a couple of other members who have done this, hopefully once they see this thread they can chime in.

Also, are you using the correct bolts for the starter? Some starter motors also have a shim between the starter and block, if there is no shim I would try adding one and see what it does.
The box is ok I have driven the car the bolts are from the old starter motor that was in it what does the shim do

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The shim moves the starter away from the flex plate.

Shim looks like this
PW02336.jpg

And is fitted something like this,
2012-07-07_220047_pic.gif

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you find a shim let me know. I need one but haven't been able to buy one, they have become quite rare.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TBH, I'm wondering if there is a difference between the older V6 and newer V6 starter motors. Maybe a you need a late model one to match the style of bellhousing for the transmission? For some reason I keep remembering someone modified their starter to make it fit when doing a trans swap but I just can't quiet remember what or where it was. Might need to track down some pictures of the later style starter motors and see if they are greatly different around the throw out extension housing.

If you find a shim let me know. I need one but haven't been able to buy one, they have become quite rare.

Really? I'd say a decent performance shop should stock various shims as a lot of aftermarket style starters need them to make them fit properly. Or go to the wreckers and pull one out of a Commodore there.

Mick rooster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore
Looking at it 2 washers would do I think between the block and starter motor on the end of the bolt to keep it a couple of mm off the block

Mick rooster

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore
2 washers would do it between the starter and the block on the end of the bolt before tightening it cause that's really all the shim is doing by looking at the photo one each side or two I'm going to try it will let you know if that works