Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I don't know?.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
G'day.

So I have my first car a 2007 VE Commodore with almost 280,000 on it, the guy I brought it from told me it had problems but was willing to try. I drove it and it was running rough ESP and traction off. The guy gave me spark plugs when I brought it so I put them in just as well old ones were broken well the ceramic bit.

I went to start the car but battery was flat so called NRMA, he told me to drive it for an hour 15 minutes into the drive car was over heating, check oil, petrol low, air con on so I drove home less than a K, next day jumped it again it ran but had lockout active/ data mismatch. Checked what I had done and found the plugs the guy gave me were wrong so replaced with the correct ones and got new battery...lockout/ data mismatch did not come up nor did the radio ask me for the code but is working but still would not start, NRMA came out again and told me starter motor was no good so changed that still will not start.

It does not turn over just go's "donk" when I turn the key like the engine is sized or starter motor don't have enough power, I have checked every fuse and relay still no luck so...I DON'T KNOW??.

Mum says sell it but I don't want to give up on my first car so any help guy's.

AL73NT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Step one: get a high end interface plugged into it. That’s going to tell you what codes are there stopping this from going. it will also access the historical records.

At a pinch a Bluetooth obd2 reader and a phone app like Dash Command on iPhone will also access most of the required features.

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
Keep the new battery on a maintenance charger while you are dicking around.
You might be leaving boot, doors, radio etc on and the new battery maybe low.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
Step one: get a high end interface plugged into it. That’s going to tell you what codes are there stopping this from going. it will also access the historical records.

At a pinch a Bluetooth obd2 reader and a phone app like Dash Command on iPhone will also access most of the required features.

Thank you will go get.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
Keep the new battery on a maintenance charger while you are dicking around.
You might be leaving boot, doors, radio etc on and the new battery maybe low.
I do have the battery on a keeper, checked yesterday 12.8 volts.:)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have the battery load tested.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The battery can hold good voltage but when it’s put under lid from something like cranking a motor is fails.
Kind of like that lazy person at work that looks like they do something but it’s all a bit hard if it comes to actually doing some work.

*edit: load and it (not is)

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Battery world is one place that could load test it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Welcome to the forum…

Ceramic broken on spark plugs, then wrong spark plugs installed… what can go wrong :rolleyes:

Really, you need to go back to basics… I’d remove all plugs and use a borescope to inspect the inside of all cylinders, then I’d remove fuel pump fuse and crank engine and measure dry and wet cylinder compression. If the engine won’t crank you can bypass the electronic side and use a remote starter you connect directly to the starter motor…

If no rubbish has scored the cylinder bores or smashed into the piston tops or damaged the valve seats then the compression should be ok so you can install the correct spark plugs for your engine,.

If the key won’t crank the engine, then it’s a matter of determining why the engine won’t crank… You'd need to check all fuses and then look at the anti theft system as a start… It can be a bit of a head bang to sort it out…

If the engine cranks, check spark occurs and check fuel is getting to injectors and fuel pressure is correct.

After you get engine to crank and fire up, I’d be checking cooling system…

Modern vehicles require a good strong battery as they use lots of electrical juice for their smart systems…. A weak battery will often make the starter solenoid
go clackity clack… an even weaker battery may make the stater/engine go donk.

A smart charger is a good investment, especially if it’s not a daily (as most cars weren’t during lockdown)…