Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I don't know?.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
Okay will do, thanks.

AL73NT.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
If it doesn't turn with a short bar don't try and force it with a breaker bar. The breaker is used to undo the bolt. Like I said if you undone that crank bolt with a ratchet then it wasn't tight for whatever reason that was.
If the engine rocks a little then its not seized in the cylinder. Humour us by taking off the rocker covers and post up pics. If it's bad we can tell you the next step. Don't bother trying to free up the pistons. If they are seized its a throw away job regardless.
It will be a lot more than a day to clean a sludged engine. So start with the rocker covers.
I am so happy I managed to rotate the engine 33mm, how do I know used white out to mark...happy days. Rocker covers on Saturday and pictures to follow, thanks losh1971.

AL73NT.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
I am so happy I managed to rotate the engine 33mm, how do I know used white out to mark...happy days. Rocker covers on Saturday and pictures to follow, thanks losh1971.

AL73NT.
Hi Guys, engine running fine well running, Saturday went to take rocker covers off but first I'll try turning her over...took a few go's but hey presto.
Put flush in let it run for 15 then drained...filled with cheap IGA oil and more flush.

What oil should I use ie whats best? and how often should I change it, I'm asking because you people know better than a book. I will be only driving 50Ks a day and only 5 days a week as bike for weekend blast...lol.

AL73NT.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi Guys, engine running fine well running, Saturday went to take rocker covers off but first I'll try turning her over...took a few go's but hey presto.
Put flush in let it run for 15 then drained...filled with cheap IGA oil and more flush.

What oil should I use ie whats best? and how often should I change it, I'm asking because you people know better than a book. I will be only driving 50Ks a day and only 5 days a week as bike for weekend blast...lol.

AL73NT.
Did you ever find out why it wasn’t turning over by hand? Did you remove the spark plugs to turn it over by hand? If not that might be why you had difficulty as cylinder compression would have been working against you.

As long as you use a good quality oil (Penrite, Shell, Castrol, etc) you’ll be fine. What oil viscosity you use will depend on what your oil consumption works out at. If it’s a high mileage engine and burns a lot of oil it’s probably better running a thicker oil.

The factory manual says to use a 5w30 but they do this for fuel economy purposes not engine longevity! I changed my SV6 to a 10w40 oil after about 150,000kms and it went from burning about a litre of oil every 15,000kms to burning maybe 100-200mls. It’s got over 320,000kms on it now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Run the flush in the IGA oil for a good 20 mins on idle, then drop it. Don't drive it with flush in the engine. See what the oil comes out like then. You may require several oil changes over a few months.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
Run the flush in the IGA oil for a good 20 mins on idle, then drop it. Don't drive it with flush in the engine. See what the oil comes out like then. You may require several oil changes over a few months.
Guys oil looks like sh*t so will follow our advise, no did not take plugs out when I tried to turn over by hand(didn't know I should). She's out off rego today but I'm on it. Think I'm gonna use Castrol Power 1 part synthetic 10W-40 oil that's what I put in my bike so will make it easy...will that be okay?.

AL73NT

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
More oil changes. Don't put in expensive oil yet. Maybe get some cheap oil from Autobarn, anything cheap and mix in a litre of Dex 3 trans fluid and run it for another 30mins on idle. Then dump it again.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Guys oil looks like sh*t so will follow our advise, no did not take plugs out when I tried to turn over by hand(didn't know I should). She's out off rego today but I'm on it. Think I'm gonna use Castrol Power 1 part synthetic 10W-40 oil that's what I put in my bike so will make it easy...will that be okay?.

AL73NT
That should be fine to use. Just make sure you monitor your oil consumption in case it burns through it quickly. You don’t want it to run out of oil.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
More oil changes. Don't put in expensive oil yet. Maybe get some cheap oil from Autobarn, anything cheap and mix in a litre of Dex 3 trans fluid and run it for another 30mins on idle. Then dump it again.
Thank you Guys gonna get Dex 3 tomorrow(Thurs), I'll keep doing this till oil is of good colour?. Bike oil is $54 for 4 liters...good oil and my Holden Commodore deserves some LOVE after being used and abused by last owner, again thanks Guys for your help.

AL73NT.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Don`t forget to let us know how you go please mate:)