Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I don't know?.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
What is a 2 bar? is it some kind of extension on the ratchet handle?, I undid the crank bolt by rocking it back and forth trying to see if I could got any movement and I did it undone.

I thank everyone for your advise and have learned along the way more about cars and will keep learning. I will put this down to learning.

This is not over I WILL NOT BE SELLING IT just hide it from Mum, I don"t have the money right now BUT will get the engine changed. I love my Holden Commodore with all it's faults and the best part it's mine.

To all....I wish you a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year for 2022, I will be back...................
All the best AL37NT. By the way, where will you hide it?:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A 2' bar is a breaker bar. That crank pulley bolt should have been mega tight.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
A 2' bar is a breaker bar. That crank pulley bolt should have been mega tight.
Was very easy to undo just with hand ratchet losh1971, a question if I may... should the engine be easy to rotate with just a hand ratchet?...or put a bar on it?. I am fiddling with the engine hey if it's sized why not, I put 50/50 mix acetone and trans fluid down each spark plug and put the plugs and coils back last night...I will have a look later, they say 24 hours so I'll give it 24.

YES good question hademell where am I gonna hide it... not sure.

AL73NT.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I suspect it's not piston seized, rather sludge seized. It will be a painful job on the V6 but pull off a rocker cover and post a pic of what you see sludge wise on top of the head.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
I suspect it's not piston seized, rather sludge seized. It will be a painful job on the V6 but pull off a rocker cover and post a pic of what you see sludge wise on top of the head.
Losh1971 I can tell you it has lots of sludge inside I think because the oil filer cap was covered in crap inside and oil is very black, I did have a look down two of the spark plug holes and is black, looked at two to see any difference. I have oil flush and new oil and filter but no good if it don't run.

AL73NT.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
Losh1971 I can tell you it has lots of sludge inside I think because the oil filer cap was covered in crap inside and oil is very black, I did have a look down two of the spark plug holes and is black, looked at two to see any difference. I have oil flush and new oil and filter but no good if it don't run.

AL73NT.
I forgot to ask why do you think sludge?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I forgot to ask why do you think sludge?
Because piston seize is not common on these whereas sludge stopping the chains rotating is common. If you can rock the crank its not seized in the bore. It's going to need the sump off and the timing cover off to determine what you're working with. They can be desludged but whether it can be done well enough is unknown. You are going to need 4L of kero. A drain pan and start washing it down. Basically every cover is going to need to come off and washed out, with kerosene. You will probably need chains too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You may also need a gun to force clean kerosene through the oil pump inlet in an attempt to flush the galleries.

AL73NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega S1
You may also need a gun to force clean kerosene through the oil pump inlet in an attempt to flush the galleries.
This gonna take some reading from my repair manual but will give it a go on Saturday when I can spend the hole day fiddling, only way to learn for me is doing. In an hour my 24 hour wait will be up and I'm gonna use a pole on my ratchet this time with the crank.

I thank you for your time and knowledge....

AL73NT.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it doesn't turn with a short bar don't try and force it with a breaker bar. The breaker is used to undo the bolt. Like I said if you undone that crank bolt with a ratchet then it wasn't tight for whatever reason that was.
If the engine rocks a little then its not seized in the cylinder. Humour us by taking off the rocker covers and post up pics. If it's bad we can tell you the next step. Don't bother trying to free up the pistons. If they are seized its a throw away job regardless.
It will be a lot more than a day to clean a sludged engine. So start with the rocker covers.