- Mar 18, 2006
- Reaction score
- Members Ride
- Slug powered VZ, Cross 8 VZ, VE Calais & ya mum.
I got a $16 headlight repair kit. Seems good enough.
The drill pad for polishing was the only thing really any good. Their plastic polish and the uv protectant is worth it too.
I wasn’t keen on masking the paint so off came the bumper. Headlights off and could do the work a bit more comfy too.
The bloody 800 grit sanding pad provided came apart and scratched up the lens. So I grabbed a sanding block and 800 grit wet and dry.
Sprayed water on as I went and sprayed down the lens and paper as often as I could.
Doing this by hand was way better. Much quicker and better finish at almost every point.
Then moved to 1500 grit.
Then 2000 grit.
Then the polish provided, which was quite course. I used the drill polish pad provided on this bit.
Then moved to Mothers Plastic polish and things quickly went to the next level. Did heaps of passes like this.
Then moved to hand polishing with the Mother’s Plastic Polish.
Then, turned it over and sprayed a heap of Aerospace 303 on the back. Used a shaving brush to work it into the plastic. Then wiped clean with a microfiber cloth.
You have to coat the lens with the uv protectant last.
I will be getting the 3M Clear Bra headlight cover. Then this never needs doing again. They are about $80 on eBay.
In summary, I’m stoked with the finish. Did this thinking fk it, if it sort of works I’m ahead anyway.
I almost bought a new one.
These look as good as a headlight that might be a few years old. Lens is clear but a few bits of putting from stones. You have to look hard to find then though.
I spent about 2hours on one headlight. Nice with the radio on and hot cup of tea on hand.
290.8 KB Views: 249
271.5 KB Views: 228