Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have $1500 to spend. Help me out.

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by boomer03, May 18, 2019.

1. boomer03

boomer03 Dolphin Trainer

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0 Manual
    Hi all. I have a 2010 VE SSV manual sedan. Its a daily driver. It already has a 3 inch stainless cat back exhaust. I'm about to pick up a good quality OTR and some HSV exagerators cheap and bolt them up myself. I'm keeping the MAF and am not getting it tuned just yet. I've read a lot, including an awesome multi page argument/discussion on this forum that I'm still laughing at. Apparently a tune is not needed if the MAF is kept, as the MAF makes the needed adjustments to keep everything working. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Firstly, will there be any noticeable powered increase with the above mods?

And B, I have an extra $1,500 to $2,000 to spend on top of the above mods. What engine/performance mods would you spend it on? Sort of guess peeps are going to say get the tune?

Ta folks,

Boomer

2. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Not a huge difference. The tune is where you feel the difference because you're changing the conservative factory parameters to something that favours power and drivability, even without those bolt ons there would still be a massive difference.

IMHO (and probably everybody else here) still get the bolt ons and then the tune. Just FYI you can get better extractors just before the tune and get the o2 sensor error code that will be thrown fixed at the time of tune. Also there are many tuners these days who will still retain the MAF.

55ams likes this.
  3. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    Tune and a set of 3.7’s

55ams likes this.
  4. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    the myth that if u keep it your tune will be accurate... well it wont... any change in airflow in and or out will affect the fueling calculation and spark as spark uses airmass, MAF measures airspeed at a given volume (factory intake) if u change that volume and make it bigger less restriction (aftermarket intake, otr) then the air speed going thru the MAF has now changed which needs correcting, its one of the reasons if u keep the maf when boosted and u run out of the MAF HZ range u can put a bigger diameter intake pipe on which will lower the airspeed which lowers HZ but allowing more volume to pass thru, the fueling corrections will do there best to fix it but the less corrections they have to do the better your engine runs

5. boomer03

boomer03 Dolphin Trainer

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0 Manual
    Dude, wtf are 3.7's?

6. vr304

vr304 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 ssv manual
    He’s referring to 3.7 ratio diff gears mate (std is 3.45) which gives you better acceleration and pickup and usually better fuel economy too only slightly tho due to the fact the engine isn’t labouring as much, 3.9 is a better ratio for manual trans

boomer03 likes this.
  7. Dylan kingswood

Dylan kingswood Member

Members Ride:
    2011 s2 Ve ss
    3.9s are good for lower powered cars I tried them in my ve and run out of legs to quick 3.7’s are a good inbetween not changing gears as much, just comes to personal choice end of the day

boomer03 likes this.
  8. Daniel Souza

Daniel Souza Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
    My suggestion to spend the money is :

- Wideband O2 Sensor. $300 AEM with ODBII connection so you don’t have to buy pro version of MPVI2.

- HPtuners MPVI2 $500 to be able to tune. 2 credits for the car $80
    - practical Reflashing Tuning course from HPacademy which has a full example using a commodore. $229

With these tools you will be able to tune the car anytime you want as well as keep a close look on how the car is performing.

9. boomer03

boomer03 Dolphin Trainer

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0 Manual
    That's a very interesting suggestion Daniel.

10. boomer03

boomer03 Dolphin Trainer

Members Ride:
    VE SSV 6.0 Manual
    Thanks for all of the ideas gents. I've had V8s for years as a young bloke. Then you get married, have kids, buy family cars etc. Kids have now left home, I'm 53, and I thought fork it, I'm buying something to play with. My last V8 was a 308 stroked to 355 VK Calais with a carby, bulletproof 2500 stall traumatic, and not a computer in sight (ok, maybe 1). I miss that car. It was so simple to work on. Now we have bloody computer controlled everything where the engine won't start unless the floor mats are straight! I'm learning all this modern car stuff as I go, so I am sorry if these questions sound a bit basic. I really appreciate the replies.

11. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Your welcome

12. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    sometimes it can be better to find a shop doing OTR/Tune deals as works out cheaper years ago I got OTR for $500 tune for $900 month later the place I got tune at had otr/tune for $1200.

As above for the manual the 3.7 diff is excellent for waking the car up(3.9s way to short)

13. Daniel Souza

Members Ride:
    VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
    HPacademy.com has a series of free lessons as well several videos on YouTube. They can give an ideia about what is involved on tuning. It can give you an idea if tuning is something you want to learn.

I myself have bought:
    - the AEM wideband O2 sensor
    - A few courses EFI tunning courses

Now I am trying to snick in the HP tuners on the next budget. Let’s see if the Morison’s tax cut will come through.

My car is under warranty (2years left) and I am still thinking if it is a good ideia to let it go. I already had a harmonic balancer and a full set of injectors replaced under warranty.

14. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    not all of the HPacadeny info out there is correct (whether they have redone any info im not sure to correct it and im talking years ago encase anyone stumbles across it) hptuners forum is prob best for any info and help there is alot of info there

EYY likes this.
  15. Daniel Souza

Members Ride:
    VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
    Do you mean on the forum or the videos ?

16. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    hptuners forum lots of good reading

17. Daniel Souza

Members Ride:
    VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
    Sorry mate, half of the question didn’t came out of my mind.

What I meant to ask was were did you see the incorrect information on the HPacademy ? Was it on the forum threads or actually the course material or webinars?

18. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    there was a video they done about some adjustments to fix an issue and it was early in the piece and since then its been found to not adjust it the way they say, this is the hptuners info and it mentions the video also, some good reading in there if u want to see what they get into tuning engines https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?66837-Rich-After-Flash-Injector-Tip-Temperature

19. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I trialled HPAcademy. Not much useful info I found. They give a good basic background knowledge, but the same info is available on youtube, websites and forums. MAF helps with calculation of fuelling. It measures actual airflow but still won't make adjustments in target afr's, timing, torque management etc. Basically you adjust the fuelling so that commanded and actual AFR's are the same and then adjust commanded afr's from there.

You can keep the MAF - it'll give slightly better fuel economy and better manners at low throttle openings. But that's not the case when large aftermarket cams are fitted due to intake pulse and reversion upsetting maf readings.

You'll spend more than the bloke above suggested getting set up with hptuners, credits and wideband. It's not a cheap exercise. Then you really need to learn how to use it, which can take years, and you have the risk of damaging your vehicle and the likelihood that you won't get decent power and economy out of it.

Spend the money and have it tuned by a professional with a dyno. Had mine dyno tuned about 8 weeks ago for $400 and it was worth every cent.

Lex likes this.
  20. Daniel Souza

Members Ride:
    VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
    Thanks for the info. The more I learn the less I know!

However I don’t think the information presented was incorrect. The only mistake on the video was not reinforcing that the 0ing of the table was just a “tunning tool” to save time. It should have been mentioned that the original values should be reflashed after tunning or even better tunned accordingly.