Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have $1500 to spend. Help me out.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Thanks for all of the ideas gents. I've had V8s for years as a young bloke. Then you get married, have kids, buy family cars etc. Kids have now left home, I'm 53, and I thought fork it, I'm buying something to play with. My last V8 was a 308 stroked to 355 VK Calais with a carby, bulletproof 2500 stall traumatic, and not a computer in sight (ok, maybe 1). I miss that car. It was so simple to work on. Now we have bloody computer controlled everything where the engine won't start unless the floor mats are straight! I'm learning all this modern car stuff as I go, so I am sorry if these questions sound a bit basic. I really appreciate the replies.

sometimes it can be better to find a shop doing OTR/Tune deals as works out cheaper years ago I got OTR for $500 tune for $900 month later the place I got tune at had otr/tune for $1200.

As above for the manual the 3.7 diff is excellent for waking the car up(3.9s way to short)

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
That's a very interesting suggestion Daniel.

HPacademy.com has a series of free lessons as well several videos on YouTube. They can give an ideia about what is involved on tuning. It can give you an idea if tuning is something you want to learn.

I myself have bought:
- the AEM wideband O2 sensor
- A few courses EFI tunning courses

Now I am trying to snick in the HP tuners on the next budget. Let’s see if the Morison’s tax cut will come through.

My car is under warranty (2years left) and I am still thinking if it is a good ideia to let it go. I already had a harmonic balancer and a full set of injectors replaced under warranty.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
not all of the HPacadeny info out there is correct (whether they have redone any info im not sure to correct it and im talking years ago encase anyone stumbles across it) hptuners forum is prob best for any info and help there is alot of info there

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
not all of the HPacadeny info out there is correct (whether they have redone any info im not sure to correct it and im talking years ago encase anyone stumbles across it) hptuners forum is prob best for any info and help there is alot of info there
Do you mean on the forum or the videos ?

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
hptuners forum lots of good reading
Sorry mate, half of the question didn’t came out of my mind.

What I meant to ask was were did you see the incorrect information on the HPacademy ? Was it on the forum threads or actually the course material or webinars?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Sorry mate, half of the question didn’t came out of my mind.

What I meant to ask was were did you see the incorrect information on the HPacademy ? Was it on the forum threads or actually the course material or webinars?
there was a video they done about some adjustments to fix an issue and it was early in the piece and since then its been found to not adjust it the way they say, this is the hptuners info and it mentions the video also, some good reading in there if u want to see what they get into tuning engines https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?66837-Rich-After-Flash-Injector-Tip-Temperature

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I trialled HPAcademy. Not much useful info I found. They give a good basic background knowledge, but the same info is available on youtube, websites and forums. MAF helps with calculation of fuelling. It measures actual airflow but still won't make adjustments in target afr's, timing, torque management etc. Basically you adjust the fuelling so that commanded and actual AFR's are the same and then adjust commanded afr's from there.

You can keep the MAF - it'll give slightly better fuel economy and better manners at low throttle openings. But that's not the case when large aftermarket cams are fitted due to intake pulse and reversion upsetting maf readings.

You'll spend more than the bloke above suggested getting set up with hptuners, credits and wideband. It's not a cheap exercise. Then you really need to learn how to use it, which can take years, and you have the risk of damaging your vehicle and the likelihood that you won't get decent power and economy out of it.

Spend the money and have it tuned by a professional with a dyno. Had mine dyno tuned about 8 weeks ago for $400 and it was worth every cent.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
there was a video they done about some adjustments to fix an issue and it was early in the piece and since then its been found to not adjust it the way they say, this is the hptuners info and it mentions the video also, some good reading in there if u want to see what they get into tuning engines https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?66837-Rich-After-Flash-Injector-Tip-Temperature
Thanks for the info. The more I learn the less I know!

However I don’t think the information presented was incorrect. The only mistake on the video was not reinforcing that the 0ing of the table was just a “tunning tool” to save time. It should have been mentioned that the original values should be reflashed after tunning or even better tunned accordingly.