Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have a 5spd auto

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
Hi
My VN S has a 5spd auto. I never really took any notice of the gears but today i was on my way home on tonkin hwy and decided to try out what gears the car does at what speed. So at the lights I took off slowly all the way to 100, at about 20kmh it went to 2nd, then about 45kmh it went to 3rd, then about 60kmh it went to 4th and then about 85-90kmh it went to 5th. Is this rare cos I always thought commodores were a 4spd???
And don't tell me it is a 4spd, with the exhaust i've got I can tell when it changes gear. Also at 100k's i was doin about 1600rpm

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
My mums VS cruises at 100ks at bout 2000rpm i think and mine is a few hundred less which would also explain a 5th gear. Also i'll try get a sound recording of it goin through the gears tonight

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
My mums VS cruises at 100ks at bout 2000rpm i think and mine is a few hundred less which would also explain a 5th gear. Also i'll try get a sound recording of it goin through the gears tonight

Our VN and VT, both cruise at a bees dick over 1500 rpm. Remember Tyre sizes, diff ratios etc will change your speedo reading, and your RPM at certain speeds.

Photos of the gearbox and any model numbers off it. Also your shifter as it should now have read P,R,N,D,4,3,2,1

jakewaze

Jakewaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Spack S1 Auto
Well i asure you it is changing 5 times, I'm suprised too. One of the previous owners may have had done somethin done to it in the past 20yrs or somethin. I am goin to do it again tonight a few times to make sure

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Well i asure you it is changing 5 times, I'm suprised too. One of the previous owners may have had done somethin done to it in the past 20yrs or somethin. I am goin to do it again tonight a few times to make sure

Do it lots more :thumbsup:
Doing it with an even throttle response, dont back it off, put it down if you get what I mean. If you lift your foot it can shift, then when reapplied it will down shift, which could be tricking you to think theres an extra gear.

Ive still got my left testicle on it not being a 5speed auto.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
nope it actually the torque converter locking at 85kmh thats what you think is 5th.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
And don't tell me it is a 4spd

It is a 4spd.

Torque converter locks up over 80kph and drops the revs for highway economy.

Last edited:

FusionX

Reaction score
Was about to say Torque convertor locking creates the illusion of 5th... but the last 2 posts beat me to it.