Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have a week to spend making my ecotec run top notch

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
As the title says, I have a week of annual leave coming up where the missus will be interstate, so I'm free to spend it making my car run top notch, and fix a few other things. My plan so far is

-Transmission service
-Spark plugs and leads
-Clean the MAF
-Clean/replace TPS (Haven't looked into this at all, just seems to pop up often in threads about economy)
-Replace o2 sensors (Genuine seems to be the go, any thoughts?)
-MACE gear (Depends on funds)
-Replace the lower control arms at the front (These are the last component that could me making my phantom knocking noise)
-Clean TB and plenum, if I feel capable (got to search for some how to's)

The car is regularly serviced, so I'm mainly looking for things that get missed or benefit from being done more often is there anything you guys would add/subtract, just so I can start buying parts now. I'm still very much learning about cars so everything takes me twice as long so I can be sure I'm doing it right, So I can't tackle too many things

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
All good things to do except, no need to replace the TPS unless there is something wrong with it. When it comes to high fuel usage it is more an O2 problem rather than TPS. Cleaning the IAC valve would be more beneficial. Genuine O2 sensors are the way to go.

Last edited:

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Is this kit any good?

Holden Commodore SV6 VT VX VY V6 Complete Bosch Service KIT Spark Plugs Leads | eBay

I know Bosch make some pretty solid components but I have only ever tried their spark plugs and nothing else. I generally buy these components separately. I was thinking of getting this when I begin working on my car.

As for the O2 sensor. Does the VX require two of them? Is this a good deal?

2 Genuine Bosch Holden VS VT VU VX VY Oxygen Sensor Commodore O2 V6 V8 GEN 3 LS1 | eBay

Also when cleaning the MAF and/or IAC will electrical cleaner work?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is this kit any good?

Holden Commodore SV6 VT VX VY V6 Complete Bosch Service KIT Spark Plugs Leads | eBay

I know Bosch make some pretty solid components but I have only ever tried their spark plugs and nothing else. I generally buy these components separately. I was thinking of getting this when I begin working on my car.

As for the O2 sensor. Does the VX require two of them? Is this a good deal?

2 Genuine Bosch Holden VS VT VU VX VY Oxygen Sensor Commodore O2 V6 V8 GEN 3 LS1 | eBay

Also when cleaning the MAF and/or IAC will electrical cleaner work?

2 O2 sensors.
Throttle body or carby cleaner for the IAC, MAF cleaner for the MAF (anything else could damage the MAF).

You should be right with Bosch parts.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
I only use genuine holden parts
with your shopping list give preston motors a phone call, ph 8791-2500, greens road, dandenong
they will probably give you trade price
also the serpentine belt changed size around 2002 so don't know how that kits suits VT to VY
also consider
flush brake fluid
change coolant
new wiper inserts

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Brake fluid is getting done as soon as my speed bleeders arrive, a long with polishing my calipers and changing my rear pads. Got a new radiator in November/20,000km ago, so coolant should still be ok shouldn't it?