Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have my Rear shock absorbers out, are they rooted? details inside....>>>>>

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
i can compress them by hand (Takes alot of effort) then they dont return to full travel,

Long story Simple:
you have to "Force" them back to full travel and "Force" Them to compress. are they rooted??? they are shortened shocks for my "Ultra Lows"....i think they are suppossed to do this??? are they???

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
they should be firm to compress - within reason, but smooth aswell, it should then steadily open back up. Easiest way to tell if they are rooted is to drive around with them and feel the rear end of the car. If it feels stuffed then throw them away, they are cheap as chips to buy and take 5 minutes to replace, the hardest part is undoing the nylock nut on the top, which is anoying more than hard as you will know:p. I just went to super crap and bought some $30 gabriel gas ryders.

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
oh ok, i didnt know they were that cheap, i got given these and i was gonna chuck the ultra lows in but thought these were stuffed. i will go to autobarn tomoz...thanks buddy

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Depending on what type of springs you have eg, if youve got a really low ride height, shortened shockers are a must, will definitly provide a more comfortable ride. As for your current shockers, should be hard to compress but push back out nice and swiftly, if they stay compressed then yes they need to be replaced, shockers should be replaced every 30,000 to 40,000kms. Id advise getting your hands on some Monroe GT gas shocks or if thats too expensive go for the Gabriels.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Long story Simple:
you have to "Force" them back to full travel and "Force" Them to compress. are they rooted???
Depends entirely on the shock. A gas shock should return to full extension on it's own, but an oil shock (such as Koni) won't move at all, and would require force to extend it.

As has been said, rear shocks are cheap as. Get yourself something quality like KYB or Boge, $50-$60 each. Monroe GT Gas are on par with Gabriel for quality/performance (ie. not particularly flash), but if you're a Tenecco brand loyalist then you'd have to step up to the Monroe GT Sport to get an equivalent shock to KYB.