Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need advice on yet another radiator flush...

dislocatex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hi, i recently bought a second hand VT Berlina and had it serviced.
Among other long term problems with it, it also needed a radiator flush which i just got done today due to the water being very brown.

It had 3 flushes today and is still brown and needs another flush.

at $110 a pop and being unemployed i'm having trouble justifying this being done again and then finding out theres worse damage which will cost me more money again.

I wish to drive to melbourne in may, this is my upmost priority.. what will happen if i dont flush the radiator again? Will it get me to melbourne? What are the long term ramifications?

thanks

Aaron.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Are you flushing the engine and heater core as well or only the radiator?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
theres a good product im trying to think of the name it neutralises rust in the cooling system and can turn rusty water clean before you drain the system cant for the life of me remember the name though

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
You paid $330 today to flush the system???

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
the system is easy to flush yourself. if you are unsure how. spend 40 dollars and buy a gregorys manual.

it will save you lots of money.

good luck mate.

dislocatex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Thanx everyone for your help.

No i didnt pay $330, i paid $110 for 2 flushes, but they must have felt kind and did it a third time for me, but they recommend doing it again in another couple weeks.

This is exactly what they did:
"Coolant Flush Service
Examine all belts and hoses, pressure test radiator and cap. Drain old coolant, examine old colant for contamination etc. Flush radiator and block, refill with new coolant as specified. Bleed system including heater, normalise engine. Test for leaks."

"Water was in very poor condition even after 3 flushes. Recommend another coolant flush in appros 1 week"

My brother knows how to flush the radiator.. so i'm thinking of just risking it, waiting a month, driving to melbourne then hopefully if i make it then we can do it there.
I'm just worried about it breaking down on the way or something.
By the way, its not overheating or getting hot or anything.

Thanks

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
your car wont break down because it needs coolant. as long as it has water and your not flogging the absolute **** out of it. get some cleaner stuff you add to your water.

then drop it when you get there and put in some fresh coolant

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
what a rip off , to clean a radiator out you have to remove it from the car and remove the inlet tank then push metal cleaning rodes down the tubes to clean all the crap out of the tubes, you then high pressure blast the radiator by putting a pressure hose in the outlet pipe then blasting all the crud out of the tubes/radiator inlet tank is then put back on and radiator is pressure tested , that is the only way to remove buil up in the radiator ,