Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need help on trading/swapping my VP wagon(92)

morespect

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore wagon 92
Hi all, I'm thinking of trading my VP 240,000Km with 97 toyota camry(4th gen) 210K. I saw the car and I kind of liked it but I can't come up with how much I will have to pay for the difference..:( Both my car and the one that I'm trading for have almost the same rego left, and the camry had all the major&minor services done. Please help me so I wouldn't be ripped off and do a good deal!

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
Pushin 300-XXX you'd be lucky for them to buy it off you for more than 1000 :(
Buuut.. unless if its in MINT cond really good and spruced up.. you might get more=)

But, dont except a lot.. Good luck tho!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
why bother???? You are trading a car with more km than anybody ever wants for a car with slightly less km but still more than anybody wants. I'd prefer the VP myself. Had a new Camry as a hire car earlier this year and it was very much a case of leaving my dignity at the door when driving that slug.

Reaper

morespect

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore wagon 92
Hmm..

why bother???? You are trading a car with more km than anybody ever wants for a car with slightly less km but still more than anybody wants. I'd prefer the VP myself. Had a new Camry as a hire car earlier this year and it was very much a case of leaving my dignity at the door when driving that slug.

Reaper

Thank you for your reply. I'm trading the car so that I could give it to my girlfriend who's afraid of driving a car so big :) I had a great time with my VP as well but things got out of my hands now..

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
their right mate, you'd be a smooth talker to be able to trade a vp for a 97 camry. i say keep the vp myself, think about front wheel drive *cringes*.

morespect

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore wagon 92
Pushin 300-XXX you'd be lucky for them to buy it off you for more than 1000 :(
Buuut.. unless if its in MINT cond really good and spruced up.. you might get more=)

But, dont except a lot.. Good luck tho!

Thank you for your kind reply!! So what you're saying is that I won't be able to save a lot through the deal, right? Well I'm willing to pay up to 1,000$ for the value difference.
Besides, the camry seemed very good especially when it comes to driving, it was very quiet and smooth, just the way it should be for the girls to drive.
And I forgot to mention this; I'm doing a private deal, not with a dealer, which makes it more flexible and negotiable on prices. It seems that I need to suggest the price first, and I'm thinking of going with 500$ and start negotiating from then on. Does this sound good, or will it be better to do the deal according to the car value guides on www.redbook.com.au?
97 camry 1,700~3900
92 commodore wagon 1,200~2,700

Last edited:

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
now you gotta wonder, why do they want to down grade? did something come up in the major service? tell the g/f if she doesnt like the car show her the door as this is the start of much more crap to come

morespect

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore wagon 92
Well I get where you're coming from, and I really appreciate your concern, yet I think it's fine to do the deal; the owner of the camry is not a stranger to us being an acquaintance of my girlfriends. I don't think there's any room for fraud or anything, if any, I would be able to sort it out. The owner was in need of some extra $$ and a wagon for the job he's about to start, thus trading to a cheaper wagon. Actually, it wasn't the camry owner who offered a deal. my girlfriend literally dragged him into the deal saying "Won't it be better if the deal is made between two people who know each other?:)" He got all the documents and invoices of the services done, so I think the car's secure enough for a deal. ? And the bottom line is, my girl loves camry and there's no way that she's taking it back.
So, any suggestions on the price please guys? ;(

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
oohh.. I think you could sell it after reading that ..
A tip tho, make sure the car is *VERY* clean, have it looking new! shine the wheels etc.. clean the interior etc etc and you may be lucky!

I see a lot of "Older" cars that have done lots of K's.. but the way they look makes me want to buy it LOL ! But, thankfully I don't :)

Try to upsell the car too.. Say more good things then bad things on the car normally.

Its best to give the engine a service too, fresh oil + coolant etc should make it happy.. and if the person checks it all then they will be that bit happier with it..
Buut, you cant say a lot of good things tho.. otherwise it looks sus (if you catch my drift)

:)
As for your price, i'd be lookin around 500-1000 at best if you can sell for more than 1k you've done well :D