Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need help with Traction

KUSTOM KAM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SVX
My mates exact same car can spin tyres on the spot and I didn’t say I was going to do these on the streets. I have eastern creek around the corner..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My mates exact same car can spin tyres on the spot and I didn’t say I was going to do these on the streets. I have eastern creek around the corner..
True, you didn’t say that.

But that doesn’t take away from much of what I said... learn about the traction control system will be time consuming and complex... And as I understand it, if a vehicle doesn’t come with the ability to turn off traction control, it’s illegal to fit such a system :rolleyes:

Much much easier to buy a track car and trailer. Then you can play, race and mod as much as you want without any concern about road legalities... :confused:

Tommy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
True, you didn’t say that.

But that doesn’t take away from much of what I said... learn about the traction control system will be time consuming and complex... And as I understand it, if a vehicle doesn’t come with the ability to turn off traction control, it’s illegal to fit such a system :rolleyes:

Much much easier to buy a track car and trailer. Then you can play, race and mod as much as you want without any concern about road legalities... :confused:

Funny that isn't it, all these legalities saying you can't do this, but can do that, etc
It's ridiculous

Ok yes things like ride height i can understand and certain emissions based things like EGR/PCV, etc
I suppose if manufacturers did the job properly we wouldn't see people deleting egr's, fitting "illegal" catch cans, crankcase venting to atmosphere, etc

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Funny that isn't it, all these legalities saying you can't do this, but can do that, etc... It's ridiculous...
Don't know how old you are but businesses use to do “cut and shuts” back in my day. Sadly too many of these bodgy repaired cars would split in half in an accident... It’s good such rubbish practices were stopped.

And dog **** dumb wannabe boy racers did stupidly dangerous mods on their road cars. They thought they knew what what they were doing but they didn’t. And they raced them on public streets. Wasn’t uncommon for things to snap and for them and their mates to get squashed when they went sideways into a pole.

They were fun times due to lax enforcement (compared to today) but they were also dangerous times... but we were too young to know better...

ABS, ESC, EBD, TC, airbags and lots of policing made a huge difference to the road toll. So it ain’t bad for those of us that just want to get safely to wherever they are going... a good thing in fact...

Legislation tried to ensure people couldn’t fiddle with and turn off the safety systems in the cars. However, manufacturers gained an exemption for “performance” cars so owners could turn off TC when at the track... but such stuff will be short lived as EU is pushing for vehicles that will not allow a driver to exceed the speed limit and it won’t be switchable. There are lots of such plans...

These days we are exposed to more (CoV2 pun intended) and as such have more knowledge. But the knowledge bar has been raised with the complex systems we have in our cars. It ain’t just spanner twirling these days. We can still have our fun via modding but it has been heavily curtailed unless we have deep pockets for engineering. Reality is that it isn’t a bad thing when rules are sensible but they aren’t always sensible :oops: But the masses don’t care :rolleyes:

In any case, it’s highly likely driverless cars will also put an end to our motor cars/toys. Hopefully we get keep out race tracks so we can load our toys onto a self driving trailer and get to the track for some playtime... sadly I think track land costs would be such that they’d go the way of the dodo and have small crappy multi level appartments taking up the space o_O

Until then, you just need to know the rules and make up your own mind how much you feel you can bend them :cool: just remember to also assess your risk regarding the liability issues with illegally modified cars, should you be in a smash o_O

So annoying, not really... frustrating having to work within the boundaries, maybe... ;)

KUSTOM KAM

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden SVX
Once again, I’d like to state that this car cost me $600. I bought it along with my other mates to smoke tyres at eastern creek drags. I’m looking for this mod to insure I can stop ABS from locking my tyres and don’t have loads of money on here like some are stating. I didn’t need to hear paragraphs about road rules or the use of cars as I’m not in my teens, I’ve not lost any demerit points and have not had any sort of trouble with the law. Thanks for the unhelpful advise

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe removing 1 wire from the abs plug disables the system. But I can't remember exactly which wire. For a dedicated burnout car I would be disabling the rear brakes as they just wear out, glow red hot and can cause fires potentially.

I'd also pop out the headlight and cut out the bottom of the airbox so it's got a decent cold air supply. It'll be happier that way.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Having traction control wont help you.
Abs is for stopping, not t/c.
There is 2 types of abs pumps.
One for just abs & one for abs & traction control.
It sounds like you only have abs pump module.
So the only thing you would achieve by disconnecting the abs plug is take away your stopping ability.

I have a vt exe. Mine didn't come out with abs traction control.
So l put it in.

So for you to be able to bag the tyres up, is to get a better tune or a better motor & or tune.

If its a burn out car, with the continual high rpm, l hear that you will kill the power steering pumps.
Install a 1998-2005 astra electric power steering pump.
Do a google search.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Traction control uses the abs wheel speed sensors to determine when to cut power.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
If it doesn't have a t/c button it doesn't have traction control.
Dont have to worry about modifying anything to turn off if it doesn't exist.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Once again, I’d like to state that this car cost me $600. I bought it along with my other mates to smoke tyres at eastern creek drags. I’m looking for this mod to insure I can stop ABS from locking my tyres and don’t have loads of money on here like some are stating. I didn’t need to hear paragraphs about road rules or the use of cars as I’m not in my teens, I’ve not lost any demerit points and have not had any sort of trouble with the law. Thanks for the unhelpful advise
Once again? you've never made such statements in your original posts, nore the three that followed.

Had you made such statements, it'd be obvious it's not a daily and more of a track car you're trying to build and i wouldn't have bothered replying. As is, others have advised some things you could do... but i suggest if you have $ issues you should define some spend limit in your original post so others don't waiste their time advising mods outside your budget.

As for my long post which with seems to be paragraphs you "hear", may I suggest you stop reading out loud :p

Jokes aside, you're not forced to read my long post which was in reply to Tommy's comment (which is why i quoted him) ;) And though you may find my posts unhelpful, reality is that it's not just you in the world. You can have no idea who may come across this thread via google and which posts they find helpful. If you don't want to hear lots of comments and differing points of view, frame your posts more appropriately or just suck it up as part of forum life. But no need to be rude, i havent been :rolleyes: