Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need some mod ideas for my VN Calais

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
Hey I was just wondering what performance mods I should put on my 1990 VN Calais, she is currently fully stock apart from a 2.5" sports exhaust, I am looking for extractors for her at the moment and a c.a.i system, plus taking out the bell mouth. Any other ideas?

All greatly appreciated.​

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Leave the bellmouth, get some cheaper HM Headers, then find yourself a tune on ebay from the user "nicefrog", and start losing weight :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It was placed in there by Holden for a specific reason - to more evenly distribute air through what was a bad intake design. Without it, cylinders 5/6 lean out a little bit. It doesn't really restrict flow for the V6 - in theory it makes the intake size smaller, but then a V6 can't breathe that much air in anyway, so if anything it would increase air velocity, which would be a good thing :)

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
throttle body, extractors, high flow filter, injector clean, tune, new plugs and leads.
maybe check the o2 sensor as well.

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
Thanks centy, I've done the injector clean, the plugs and leads were in fairly good condition last tune up, im trying to get someone to sell me there pacemakers for a resonable price considering there sitting in his shed doing nothing, lol.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I've had a reasonably quick/cheap V6 before, so here's my advice:

Make it lighter, make it more aerodynamic, and make it lighter.

That's where all your CHEAP gain is going to be, without opening the motor or going down the expensive (relatively) path of FI.

Here's what you can do to make it lighter:

manual conversion (50kg) (+10kw at the wheels)
sound deadening and rubber matting (20-30kg)
aircon (20kg)
power steering (5-10kg)
towbar setup (15kg)
spare tyre and jack (15kg)
little things here and there (10kg)

Then make it more aerodynamic

lower the front a little more than the back ($150)
front underbody diffuser (DIY)
small air diffusers in front of the wheels (DIY)

And you'll be shocked how much more fuel efficient it is, how much more stable it is at high speed, and how much quicker it picks up off the line.

Then get some BMW alloy stockies for less rotating mass. Get good sticky tyres, and then throw some 3.73 or 3.89 diff gears up the arse with an LSD, and you'll be in business :) Cheap, fast, and VERY enjoyable to drive.