Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need vr aircon info

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
Yeah the cooling fan runs constantly well when the cars sat still anyways, I'm pretty sure you can see the dye cos while they wer gassing it it blew a pipe and the whole front of my car turned green it was every where, I'm so over this ute seriously I liked it now I want it gone, the problem I have is knowing where to take it to get work done cos I'm English an I've only been here a year back hone I have contacts anno where to go an who is trustworthy over here I'm still to find all this out, I'm pretty mechanicallyminded so would rather tackle stuff myself, so where is this valve right behind the dash

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
So what does the tx valve actually do, I no summers over but problems eat away at me an I can't rest until they are solved I'm a bit strange like that I can't just leave stuff alone

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id just take it to a couple of different A/C repair places, and get them to find the problem and to give you a quote for fixing it.You can either get the cheaper place to fix it,or you can post up the problem theyve found on here and someone here may be able to help you fix it yourself.Even though summers over,I find the A/C is excellent to use on rainy days,I turn the A/C on with the heater on hot,with the outlet set to demist,this will demist fogged up interior glass in a few seconds.It does this so well because the A/C system also dries the air as well as cooling it.

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
Yeah true it does come in handy other than just in summer, yeah il take it to a couple an get a quote but il def try an fix it myself I wanna get rid of it now but I'd rather it was working before I sold it I don't like selling stuff that doesn't work

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Once you find out what the problem is,you could probably fix it yourself, with some help from here if necessary,and then you just have to get it regassed,I just fitted another compressor to my VS a few months ago,I fitted it myself,then just took it to get it regassed.I bet the A/C place would have wanted a small fortune if they had fitted the compressor as well.The regas cost me $120 including new compressor oil.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi,

The UV Dye when it leaks in small amounts, you need to use a UV Light to see it, but when it leaks in large amounts, it will be visible and green
in colour when the oil leaks from a leak spot.

To understand what the thermal expansion valve does, read about how a basic refrigeration system works, because really that is what the cars A/C System is.
To put it in a nutshell. Basically in order to get cooling, refrigerant needs to turn from a liquid into gas, get a deoderant bottle, all liquid inside, spray it on your hand and notice how cool it gets? That is because of the state change from gas to liquid.

In the refrigeration system that is what happens, the compressor compresses the gas, and in the condenser stage (at the front bumper area), it gets cooled by airflow and it condenses (becomes a liquid), This liquid resides in the receiver/drier and liquid line, you can call this the "waiting room". The Thermal Expansion Valve meters the correct amount of liquid into the evaporator.

Once the liquid goes inside the evaporator (inside dash), this is where it boils off, and turns from liquid to gas, making the evaporator colder. Your TYPICAL expansion valve has a bulb on it that attaches to the low side pipe (larger a/c pipe near firewall), and monitors the temperature. The bulb is filled with a gas, and this gas helps modulate the TXV by pulling or pushing on a TXV, so if the low side line is warm, the TXV opens up more, and meters more liquid into the evaporator, if the low side line is cold enough, the TXV meters less liquid in.

When a TXV valve is blocked with debris or shut closed for whatever reason, it will not be able to meter the correct amount of liquid inside, so not enough evaporation and cooling can happen. If the TXV is not modulating (Stuck Wide Open), it will meter too much liquid, and as a result not enough evaporation can occur as the evaporator is flooded full of liquid.

Proper operation of the TXV will decrease over time, so on second hand cars, especially our nearing 20 year old VR/VS's, a new TXV is a good investment. If your hell bent on getting your A/C working as best as possible, new TXV, New Compressor, New Condenser, and New Reciever/Drier (Mandatory).

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
wow you really no your aircon, ive replaced the condensor and dryer so i guess il go for tvx valve an maybe compressor cheers for all your help guys il keep you posted as to what i find