Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I need vr aircon info

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
I need some information on my aircon system, I've fitted a new condenser and dryer and new pipe from dryer upto bulkhead and I've had it re-gassed it kinda worked for maybe a month but then it started to gradually blow warm air I have now fixed the warm air problem by replacing the heater tap and it now blows cold air but if I turn the aircon on it doesn't get any colder than normal cold air from the blower, the compressor is switching on and off and there is still gas in there but it's just not cold, is there anything else I can check myself

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
the tx valve could be playing up or maybe a blocked evaporator the best way to find out what is rong is by seeing what your pressuers are .

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Is one of the pipes going thru the bulkhead colder than the other when the compressor is engaged?....you may need to peel the cover off the wiper arms under the bonnet to check this.

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
Ive checked the pipes and they are the same temperature they aint hot or cold just normal

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
One should be colder than the other. You may need to get it looked at as it seems you have no gas left or it's below the minimum pressure. Winter is just around the corner!

VN SV5000

1 Crazy Car Enthusiest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 355 WAGON MANUAL!!
yea it could be the tx or evap but possibly leaking still in the system, remember only a little of refridgerant like 50 grams can trigger the compressor, but be careful when running the system as running it without gas/refridgerant can cause the internals to break down and spread, which mean dash out job!

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
One thing I picked up on your post, compressor cycling. How often does the compressor cycle on and off?
If so, Short cycling (Compressor turning off and on repeatedly) is caused by things such as

- Blockage in the System, such as blocked TXV (But not necessarily)
- Low gas charge

Now in the case of a blockage e.g TXV, the low pressure side would go into vacuum very quickly and a knowledgeable a/c service person will be able to know if this is the case.

Low gas charge, if the gas had leaked out very quickly, and being a VR I would not be surprised, you can thank Holdens engineers for this one, look around the front bumper for leaks around the a/c lines, especially where one a/c line takes a turn near the chassis on the passengers side of the front bumper

Pitty your not in Perth I could have taken a look at this for you but keep the advice in mind.

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
But surely if the gas had leaked out I would be seeing green dye somewhere cos they put it in with the gas?.
And when I said the compressor switches on and off I meant with the switch it actually stays on once switched on and doesn't turn off until switched off, sorry I can see I should have explained that a bit clearer.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
You would yes, if the leak spot is visible to the eye.

Ok so basically it is not cooling, it may be a faulty expansion valve not regulating refrigerant flow and this is pretty much a dash-out job,
then again there could be other causes so it has to be diagnosed properly by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Does the cooling fan come on in the engine bay when you turn the A/C on?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I thought they used ultraviolet fluorescing dye in A/C systems and you then needed a UV lamp to view it....but maybe times have changed. If the compressor is actually engaging and the engine revs drop slightly when first engaged then there is gas in the system....if it's not engaging then there is probably nil or little gas.