Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I run a fairly high idle on my vr

RorzaaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim wagon
I have my idle set at about 1300 rpm to keep the car running as the alternator **** itself. Just wondering if this is bad. It crawls when i put it into gear.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well i guess considering you will soon break down because the battery will become too low, that would be bad. Why not just put a 50 buck SH alt on and be done with it?

RorzaaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim wagon
Well i guess considering you will soon break down because the battery will become too low, that would be bad. Why not just put a 50 buck SH alt on and be done with it?
I went to a wrecker and they asked $100 for a sh one... No thanks hah, i charge my battery before every trip and only drive when its urgent. The alternator puts out 11 volts so im going to rebrush it

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Try just replacing the voltage regulator. Should only cost around $25 or so, and easy to replace.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Try just replacing the voltage regulator. Should only cost around $25 or so, and easy to replace.
Yes, sounds like the reg is stuffed and needs replacing if the alternator still spins over ok. Only takes a few minutes to replace and does not need the alternator to be removed to swap the regulator/brush assembly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ashdown Ingram should have the parts to fix your alt. They also sell A/C parts and might be cheaper than Repco.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Ashdown Ingram should have the parts to fix your alt. They also sell A/C parts and might be cheaper than Repco.

GPC owns both Ashdown and Repco.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Ahhh that would be why Repco sell some of same parts Ashdowns do, just more expensive.
Freight + Markup would do that. Cheaper to go direct to the source if possible as you suggested. :)

RorzaaBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim wagon
Couldnt find a price on ashdown ingram, but found one for $94 at repco. Is it worth buying a second hand alternator or new regulator?