Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I smile every time I drive it..

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Buying it because you like it means it represents good value to you. It matters not if that value is on the spec sheet or In your heart or mind

Totally agree with you mate.
Take my VZ 1 Tonner for example
Quicksilver LS1 6 speed Genuine 1 owner with full service history that had just hit 48,000km's. We paid $19,000 for it, probably more than it was worth but who cares, it is rather ironic though, because this is what we were planning to do the HQ we were looking for anyway.
At the time the missus found it for sale as said we were actually looking for a HQ 1 Tonner to do up as a weekend toy/cruiser.
But when we added up the cost for rust repairs, paint job, new suspension components, brakes, interior and then for an engine, gearbox & diff and well that $19,000 didn't look like such a bad price after all, and the bonus was we could drive it straight away and not in 1, 2 or 3 years when we had finished the HQ project. Sure nothing beats the satisfaction of building or customising a car to your own tastes or requirements, but given the choice to buy it again, would I......You bet your arse I would buy it again, both in my heart and in my mind.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Deleted Post

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
And if that point of view is that you're wrong, which you are if you think a Berlina has decent factory headlights,

Just can't help yourself, can you? It's either your way or the highway.

CSP is alive and well and hasn't improved one bit over the years. It's impossible to debate anything sensibly with you so I'll stop wasting my time.

Good day to you too, sport.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
2a943257662041ec4b8b7ebc97b8bc3d.jpg

iluvnorks

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY & 2013 Ford Ranger 4X4
I was a euro snob before deciding to buck the trend and purchase a good old aussie manual v8 ute rather than a volkswagen amarok. I must say in nearly 3 years of ownership mechanically it hasn't missed a beat.

The only things I would change on it is the Std airbag steering wheel looks crap and the front seats are pretty average. Where else in the work can u have a 450bhp work car u can still use on the weekends and uses 15 l/100km when loaded driving in the peak hour ****.

Perhaps tradies would have used more Holden Utes rather than the euro or jap versions if;
1/ they came with a tray with high load carrying option
2/ someone had the forsight to install a performance Diesel engine rather than the v6 petrol

A performance diesel tray Holden ute would have sold very well. Perhaps a performance diesel in the rest of the range. It would have suited the large car very well and probably retuned fuel consumption in the 5-6 bracket. A 350horse big torque reforms Diesel engine would have been orsome.

Being a tradie a 4WD is a priority. I bought a new VE ss for work and traded it in for a Ranger 18 months later. Dont get me wrong i love my V8's but wasnt practical for my work. I need to access muddy or steep sites and dont fancy carrying all my stuff in from the road.. And when towing a trailer the 3500kg towing capacity is great and got plenty of torque.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'm entitled to my point of view. And if that point of view is that you're wrong, which you are if you think a Berlina has decent factory headlights, then so be it.

And by posting this comment it really just backs up everything Calaber has pointed out.
In my short time here on the forum you have shown in some of your posts that you are really a knowledgeable kind of bloke, but in all honesty, sometimes you need to just pull your head in and go get yourself off on something else other than being an annoying & argumentative k##t towards other forum members.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I was a euro snob before deciding to buck the trend and purchase a good old aussie manual v8 ute rather than a volkswagen amarok. I must say in nearly 3 years of ownership mechanically it hasn't missed a beat.

The only things I would change on it is the Std airbag steering wheel looks crap and the front seats are pretty average. Where else in the work can u have a 450bhp work car u can still use on the weekends and uses 15 l/100km when loaded driving in the peak hour ****.

Perhaps tradies would have used more Holden Utes rather than the euro or jap versions if;
1/ they came with a tray with high load carrying option
2/ someone had the forsight to install a performance Diesel engine rather than the v6 petrol

A performance diesel tray Holden ute would have sold very well. Perhaps a performance diesel in the rest of the range. It would have suited the large car very well and probably retuned fuel consumption in the 5-6 bracket. A 350horse big torque reforms Diesel engine would have been orsome.

Mike

I had driven and owned many Holdens (and a couple of other non-Holden horrors) between 1970 and 2005, when we decided to buy our first new car and downsize into what we thought was a premium Euro small car. We bought a 2005 build Golf Mk 5 to replace our VR Berlina, which had over 330k on it but was still running well and looking excellent.

What a disappointment that Golf was. Two brake light switches, one window switch, cruise control switch, front door trim, rear hatch window surround, strange knocking when using the clutch (from day 1 but took two years for the dealer to recognise) and finally, weak synchro on first gear. All within the factory warranty period and only 73k on the clock. High beam performance of the standard headlights was absolutely abysmal - it was difficult to believe that they could have been so poor and this point was made during road tests of the car by various motor magazines. With barely two months of warranty left, we went back to what we knew we could trust and traded it on a VY Series II Berlina, which had 34k and was by then, nearly four years old. Easily the best car I have ever owned. Quiet, extremely comfortable, well equipped (including excellent headlights despite the worthless opinion of another member of this forum) and totally reliable for the five years we kept her. It made me realise that we CAN build cars here that do exactly what they are designed to do and match or surpass the so called "quality" of certain imported makes. (Must admit here though, that the Mk 5 Golf was probably the least reliable model VW produced and our car was probably typical of the breed. It was a dog).

We only traded her in because at our age, we found the car was becoming harder to enter and exit because it was too low compared to a mid range SUV which we bought to replace it. If I was younger, I reckon I'd still have that VY.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
including excellent headlights

No matter how many times you say it, this is still WRONG. Weak, bad colour temperature (yellow) halogens are not "excellent". They're perfectly adequate for some people, including you, but far from excellent. Excellent would be some strong, better colour temperature (white) HIDs would be excellent. :D Good day to you.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
No matter how many times you say it, this is still WRONG. Weak, bad colour temperature (yellow) halogens are not "excellent". They're perfectly adequate for some people, including you, but far from excellent. Excellent would be some strong, better colour temperature (white) HIDs would be excellent. :D Good day to you.

nah they're excellent.

white lights are horrible, too bright so you lose peripheral vision.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I enjoy driving my BF Falcon, MKII XR6 - Factory.

oohhh and I'm on a Commodore forum. kek