Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I sold my VY but life moves on.....

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Hey all,
Well it's been over a year since I sold my VY and I think I am over it now. I now spend my time between my Harley Sportster and my Astra turbo diesel 6sp manual.

Before anyone takes the ****, consider this...
The Astra has more torque than the VY 6 (320 vs. 305) and uses less than half the fuel to have just as much fun. It also has almost the same 0-100 time (maybe slightly better) as well as 6 airbags, ABS, TC, ESP and a Sports button that actually works to improve throttle and steering response unlike the VY "wank" button!. Belgium built and I can fit my 7 piece drum set in it EASIER than the VY (sedan).
Negatives: Definitely smaller in the drive seat although I wanted a small car. Also the diesel is pretty noisy but inside the car is not noticeable.

And my 1998 Harley - well what can I say! I ride it every day to work and unlike most people's understanding it is totally reliable, sounds awesome and looks mint.

So yes, I do miss my VY with all the work and extras I put into it, but someone else is enjoying that now and I am not left "wanting":thumbsup:

Attachments

• Astra 1.jpg
    Astra 1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 258
  • Marks's new car (4).jpg
    Marks's new car (4).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 284
  • P1020620b.JPG
    P1020620b.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 258
  • P1040124 (Medium).JPG
    P1040124 (Medium).JPG
    106 KB · Views: 252
  • P1040126 (Medium).JPG
    P1040126 (Medium).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 238

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Cool. But whats with the VT in your avatar and "ride" section?

Ah! Busted:bang:

Actually the VT was the family hack.. It was also a very nice Berlina VT2 but has also gone to another home on the Central Coast. I hope the new owner is looking after it....

But do I replace it with an Astra?!?:yeah:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
My wife just got the new Fiesta and I can agree with your small car sentiments. It's not diesel. But having driven it around I've come to some conclusions about modern small cars.

1. You can drive around like your in a GP have tons of fun and not be doing anything illegal
2. While doing so you use half the fuel you would in a Commodore/Falcon while going the same speed and faster around corners
3. It's built in Germany, better made than the big Australian cars and also has a 5 star safetly rating, traction/esp/abs etc etc
4. It's heaps cheaper :)
5. You can fully finance the car and still be almost better off once you factor parts/fuel on a older big car

So yes replace the VT with another one :)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
well done i dont know how you drive yours but one at our work recently was sitting on 4.9l/100km,

and they absolutly kick ass power wise those things, i bet you leave the sport button on all the time :)