Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I think I'm pretty lucky...

ohwow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore & RX8
So I'd been having trouble with my serp belt, specifically that the idler pulley mount wasn't sitting properly (Fixed now). Anyway, took the car for a wash and it must of thrown the belt, which I didn't realise at the time (should of considering there was no power steering and my electrics were screwing up). I drove the vehicle for about 15km whilst the temp gauge right on Hot. Warning came up on the dash "Hot" as well. I just thought because my electrics were screwing up it must be related to that and not be a true reading. :doh:

Got home after driving the 15km, opened the bonnet expecting to change some fuses only to find the serp belt sitting at the bottom of the engine bay. At this point I kinda panicked, realising the water pump obviously wasn't doing anything the entire drive home. I put the belt back on, and let the engine cool. After it cooled I checked the coolant, and quite a bit was gone, so I topped it up to full. Checked the oil, smelled a bit burnt but no water etc in the oil. Took the car for a drive and... all perfect.

Wow.
I changed the oil recently and now about a week later, still driving perfectly, no oil where it shouldn't be and no water where it shouldn't be. Temps are perfect.

Also had my mechanic friend do a leakdown and compression test and all perfect..

How does this happen? Am I just incredibly lucky?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I left my radiator cap off one day by accident, drove for 30 minutes before the temp gauge went to hot, pulled over immediately and let it cool down, took 8 litres to bring back to full. Turned car back on and no noise at all, ran perfect.

A few months later car started making a rattling type noise, end diagnosis, piston slap, engine is fried. Need a rebuild or new engine. Engine was only 2 years on from a $5500 rebuild with all new everything except crank and rods.

ohwow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore & RX8
I left my radiator cap off one day by accident, drove for 30 minutes before the temp gauge went to hot, pulled over immediately and let it cool down, took 8 litres to bring back to full. Turned car back on and no noise at all, ran perfect.

A few months later car started making a rattling type noise, end diagnosis, piston slap, engine is fried. Need a rebuild or new engine. Engine was only 2 years on from a $5500 rebuild with all new everything except crank and rods.

So I may have some... fun... to look forward to in near future.

At least its just an Ecotec. Cheap cheap. (relatively)

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
LOL

Warning lights come up, power steering heavy, car gets hot and you keep driving.
Out of curiosity, what led you to believe that something could ever be up with your car?

Maybe something will happen down the track as a result, maybe not.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So I may have some... fun... to look forward to in near future.

At least its just an Ecotec. Cheap cheap. (relatively)

Mine wasn't cheap :(

It may keep running forever or it may give up on life tomorrow. Keep driving it until something happens (or doesn't).

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Unfortunately I think although the readings are all fine now, you would have invariably shortened the service life of that motor.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
the ecotec has short cast iron heads, hard to warp them unlike a straight six. But dont make a habit of cooking the old girl.

ohwow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore & RX8
Unfortunately I think although the readings are all fine now, you would have invariably shortened the service life of that motor.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

I'm surprised I got anything further out of the motor. I was expecting at least some kind of head damage to be evident immediately. Any further life I get out of it is more than expected.