Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I think we have reached peak stupidity

Discussion in 'Media and Current Events' started by zero_tolerance, Mar 3, 2020.

1. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL

https://globalnews.ca/news/6723553/coronavirus-cruise-ship-surfaces-study/

"According to Alon Vaisman, an infection control physician at the University of Toronto, RNA is the “the basic building block of the genetic code for the virus.” He said RNA being found on a surface does not necessarily mean that the virus is alive, just that the virus was there at some point."

"Vaisman said the report didn’t clarify if the RNA that was detected signals transmissible virus."

As we know, the longest a coronavirus can last on a surface is nine days in a laboratory — you can’t get it to last longer than that,” he said. “So this identification does not have any impact on transmission on the risk for humans, it just simply means that at one time or another, the virus happened to be on their ship.”

"However, Tetro said the NIAID study was conducted in a laboratory, in a controlled environment."

“When you look at real-life situations, the virus will have an exponential decay over the first few hours, no matter what surface it happens to be on,” he said. “The real risk only occurs over the course of a half day, and then after that, it’s not so much of a risk.”

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    greenacc likes this.
  2. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    People should stick to what they are good at and virology is not one of them on this forum.

3. immortality

immortality Can't live without smoky bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    So you are suggesting people ignore official advice and continue on as per normal?

4. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    I am suggesting distorting information is embarrassing.

5. zero_tolerance

zero_tolerance Donating Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 VFII Redline
  6. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Distorting or not, with my wife's current medical condition, fagged if I'm taking any chances of her catching this....

7. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Not 100% sure....I only know they work in a hospital and from what has been said to me, the media are only letting out bits and pieces..

As for a B grade movie....Think along these lines.....If you had someone close to you, that had medical conditions as mentioned in the media that are effected by this virus, what precautions would you take? The usual washing the hands, like you normally do, or a few extra ones?

8. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    The 17 day survival seems to be related to a cruise ship story and i posted more about it above. The B grade movie reference is the hype and disinformation saturating the public domain.

I don't know what medical conditions are mentioned in the media. If we are talking vulnerability it could be as fundamental as immunosuppression which is observed as part of the aging process (in simple terms) and what happens when we succumb to illness. If we are talking immunological dysfunction as in difficulty stimulating the immune system then vaccination will not work well.

In broad terms it is a respiratory opportunist so wear a frikken mask. Who is wearing one inside and outside the home? Who is wearing one now? Viruses are relatively simple structures that code for replication. In an abstract sense they are narcissistic because it is all about them and they want more me me me ... and it eventually can interfere with normal cellular function to the point it affects respiration and that is what we are seeing clinically ...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  9. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    Here is another way of looking at something. We can load test a car battery but we don't seem to have a (safe) load test for a human being. If we could compare the two there are lots of people around that if they were batteries they would either need a good recharge or be thrown out. Most need a recharge and some i am sorry to say are not up to it ...

10. UTE042_NZ

UTE042_NZ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 Magnum Ute
  11. immortality

Members Ride:
    Better check your facts, mask alone will not stop this virus. Both my sons are currently doing a Bachelor of Para-medicine and as part of that they do work as paramedics. Mask and eye protection is a must when dealing with a suspected case (as well as gloves and gowns etc). I am fortunate that as students they have been stood down during this situation although my younger son who is further along did offer to do voluntary work as a EMT but unfortunately doesn't have a full drivers license so can't.

12. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    You've never been 'wired up' and told to run on a treadmill until you collapse?
    Its definitely a 'load test'...

VS 5.0 and figjam like this.
  13. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    World health say 1 million people die each year on average from been bitten by a mosquito.
    80% of all SARS 2.0 cases are mild to light, this virus is only going after the old with weak immune symptoms or anyone that has weak immune from cancer or any health problem..

14. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    That brought back memories. When I was half the age I am now, and 15 kg lighter, the RAAF volunteered me for a fitness test.
    I was really confident. I regularly swam laps, played squash, and rode a pushy around the runway perimeter at the lunch break.
    Wired up on a stationary bike, with a respirator in the mouth, and started at a slow easy pace to keep the dial at the required mark which got faster and harder, and watching the clock tick down. I nearly fell off the bike at the end.
    The result ….. just scraped a pass. Shattered my fitness ego. No could do now.

lmoengnr likes this.
  15. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    Masks are useful to minimize breathing it in and avoiding hand to mouth operations. I agree

Read what is written. Where does it say masks alone will stop the virus?

16. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Stop with this bullsh!t Trevor.

While older / weaker people represent a greater proportion of deaths, younger people are far from immune, are hospitalised in ICU and in some instances are still dying from it.

17. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    That's how it goes whether people like it or not.

Trevor loves holden. likes this.
  18. immortality

Members Ride:
    You said to wear a mask. If your going to give advice don't leave half the pertinent info out, some info is just as bad as no info.

19. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    I can't compensate for every nuff nuff out there .... wear a lab certified full hazmat suit ... ok?

20. Nitro_X

Nitro_X Numbskull

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SV6
    If this has been verified as true....what a sneaky effing thing to do.
    And to grind my gears even more, the company involved is a global Chinese Gov. backed property developer.

Our PM implores all of us to shop sensibly for what we need only and not to bulk buy essentials.
    I guess this big Chinese gov backed property developer slipped under the PM's radar.
    They re-deployed key staff members all over the country to covertly organise and bulk buy this stuff
    I'd love to read the memo to these staff members.