Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I think we have reached peak stupidity

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I don’t think that, as individuals, we have reached peak stupidity yet.
But as a nation, definitely. But I don’t know when that occurred. This current ‘crisis’ will hit us hard.

Go to your bathroom and food pantry, and play “Spot the Aussie”. It is beyond alarming that nearly everything is made somewhere that is not Australia. Even if it is made in Australia, it will be made from xx% of imported goods, or Packed in Australia (whatever that means).

Last year, missus and I took two ship cruises, Broome > Darwin and Darwin > Cairns, booked well in advance. The ship was Australian flagged, built in Australia and a wholly Australian owned company, crewed by Australians. Just before the second cruise, we found out that the company had been sold to a Singapore company who were in the process of building a couple of new larger ships in Singapore to replace the current ships, to cruise in Asian waters.
My disappointment with this was nearly as great as learning that Holden would stop manufacturing.
Holden closing is just another in the long list of things of stuff that we used to do, but don’t anymore.

We are not the clever country, and the lucky country is about to wake up and wonder who turned out the lights. Australia as a nation has become too dependant on imports, tourism and education catering to non-Australians. None of these can stand the tests of long term sustainability.
No use poking fingers at politicians, businessmen, unions and fat cats now, it is way too late to apportion blame. What can be done to reverse this……….fark-nose.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
We climbed into bed with China years ago and now, when we should have alternatives to reduce that dependence, we don't know how to get out of that bed. Far too much reliance on China for trade.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I don’t think that, as individuals, we have reached peak stupidity yet.
But as a nation, definitely. But I don’t know when that occurred. This current ‘crisis’ will hit us hard.

Go to your bathroom and food pantry, and play “Spot the Aussie”. It is beyond alarming that nearly everything is made somewhere that is not Australia. Even if it is made in Australia, it will be made from xx% of imported goods, or Packed in Australia (whatever that means).

Last year, missus and I took two ship cruises, Broome > Darwin and Darwin > Cairns, booked well in advance. The ship was Australian flagged, built in Australia and a wholly Australian owned company, crewed by Australians. Just before the second cruise, we found out that the company had been sold to a Singapore company who were in the process of building a couple of new larger ships in Singapore to replace the current ships, to cruise in Asian waters.
My disappointment with this was nearly as great as learning that Holden would stop manufacturing.
Holden closing is just another in the long list of things of stuff that we used to do, but don’t anymore.

We are not the clever country, and the lucky country is about to wake up and wonder who turned out the lights. Australia as a nation has become too dependant on imports, tourism and education catering to non-Australians. None of these can stand the tests of long term sustainability.
No use poking fingers at politicians, businessmen, unions and fat cats now, it is way too late to apportion blame. What can be done to reverse this……….fark-nose.
The problem lies in some part with free trade agreements. Australia is never going to compete with countries that pay a pittance compared to what Australians earn. The government is forever telling us how clever they are by signing a new agreement with some country that has a low wage economy. The problem is made worse by these countries not playing by the rules. Try selling rice to the Japanese. The Chinese economy is helped by their Governments involvement. We spread our legs for these countries and they don't reciprocate.
This government allowed the car industry to fold by removing subsidies. How many jobs did that cost? Can you imagine the same thing happening in the USA with GM or Ford? Their government poured billions into GM to allow it to remain in business.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline

This is what really angers me. We export all of our top quality food/produce to China and in return we have to pay top dollar for their questionable, poor quality, filthy polluted crap.... vegetables irrigated with raw sewage for example...
Our politicians should be held criminally liable for the appaling way they have sold this country out.
Our economy is so reliant on China that it would collapse without them... well let it happen I say.
I would rather Australia plunge into a depression than be held at the mercy of the Chinese.
Hopefully this Corona virus debacle acts as a massive wake up call.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
This government allowed the car industry to fold by removing subsidies.
And the bloody government still have the LCT in place, to protect the 'local industry' that expired in Oct 2017...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly, the majority of the toilet paper is manufacturered in Australia.....So really it has nothing to do with trade agreements with China or anything else to do with that

I heard today at work, apparently toilet paper is difficult to obtain in China, so what is happening is, some Chinese are sending it over to their country....Of course I have no proof to back this up, just a general discussion that popped up today

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just get a few copies of the Herald Sun, or The Age...
They both do the same job, but are cheaper than Quiltons...

Tried that and didn't like scrubbing the print off my butt :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

The pressure washer will hurt my precious butt :D.....