Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I wanna de-stroke a 3.8

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
balance

weight match all the rods and pistons and match them before heading off to the balancer sometimes the rods can vary pretty bad in these things upto 8 grams difference or more thats a lot.you can overbalance the engine for high rpm work. Buick Turbo V6 Engine Build Overview - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine never mind its for the turbo buicks it has lots of pointers like the oil mods and rod bolts etc

Thanks for that link...the rotating assembly in the motor was balanced, we are going to the manual crank so we can lose the flywheel adapter, so this trip to the balancers is for the new manaual crank..... this will be a standard external balance. when we set the 181 motor up we will go the full whack and get it internally balanced...and , if all my dreams come true we'll get a nice set of rods and pistons too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very reasonably priced considering what they are. i'm keen on a set myself. with stock rods i'd be concerned to go over 7000rpm. with these rods and decent pistons it won't be a problem. already matched balanced +/- 1 gram and ARP 2000 rods (which aren't cheap either)

been trying to find more info on em to see if they are as good as they say

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
spool are meant to be great thats why they on my list of things to buy :D skylines run em for ages at huge HP and revs.would be nice to find out how much heavier they are was looking at alloy ones the other day real light but quite big to fit inside the v6 block past the camshaft LOL .hbeams and a cam be prepared to take to the rod with a die grinder to clearance the cam lobes too sounds bad when the rods cost a mint and they need grinding LOL

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
As long as you balance and crack test afterwards, should be alright I would think.
Would be good to see those mods

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've emailed Spool for the rod weights :D

i wonder how many people would be interested in these rods?

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Series two cam into Series one motor

Guys, Keith at Wades tells me they can't get a billet big enough to make the cam we want for the ser 1...this one.....
W A D E C A M S H A F T S P T Y L T D

Profile Actuation Make/Model R/Ratio
1644a Roller Follower Holden V6 3.8 In1.6 Ex 1.6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cam Lift Duration Duration Valve Valve Lift Phase
Adv @050 Clr Lift tdc <)
Intake 361 300 249 0.016 0.5616 113 107
Exhaust 361 300 249 0.016 0.5616 098

Timing Timing
Adv @ 0.05
Open Close Open Close
Exhaust 77 Bbdc 43 Atdc 53 Bbdc 16 Atdc

Intake 40 Btdc 80 Abdc 19 Btdc 50 Abdc

83 35
Deg Over-lap Deg Over-lap

Intake Centreline 105.5 Exhaust Centreline 108.5

they could do a series 2 but due to the size of the flange they can't do a series 1. I don't have a pair of motors on the bench right in front of me.....what does the conversion involve?.... he seemed to think it was relatively easy.

He also suggested I speak to Tighe cams in Queersland, they might be able to do a series 1 in steel......

The other thing he suggested was that we could use the hydraulic cam we have (1365a)with solids if we ran about .008' valve lash as they have a .004 ramp....that was nice to hear because I do want to use that cam in the 181ci but I thought we'd beat the crap out of everything if we ran solids on it.

As you were men.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Spool rods to suit buick V6 weight 620grams including rod bolts

does anybody know what the stock rods weigh?

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Mace

I caught up with Steve at Mace last night , we had a great chat, nice bloke and knows his onions too .....he's gonna set up the adjustable LS-1 rockers I bought ...I took up one of the heads I bought and Steve seemed reasonably impressed with 'em too...

Today I picked up the 181ci crank that came from the States........to answer VT565 the main journals are the same size whereas the rod journals are a little smaller....that's no biggy we have to get new rods anyway

P8070139.jpg