Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I wanna de-stroke a 3.8

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hi i havent read all posts but to have a destroked crank you will need to either get a billet cnc'ed crank of find a company that dose one off forgings

may i kindly suggest you go and read all the posts and probably study up some on the interchangeability of buick V6 parts as well :thumbsup:

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
stoked

and that crank has differnt rear flange i geuss you are going to make an adaptor as it's not in a road car

Hi Mate,
the 3.0litre crank has a crank boss like a series one auto, that IS the adapter sitting on the end of it.We used that this year in the motor we ran which had an auto crank in it.

The shorter stroke means the piston accelerates/decelerates slower at the same revs simply because it travels a shorter distance in the same time. The intake demand is lower so the volumetric efficiency will tail off higher in the rev range...this translates to a motor that can still breathe at higher revs .

Cranks with a longer throw (stroker cranks)have more torque because they have greater leverage....that is great for prising a car off the line and winning dashes..... We need a motor that "winds right out" and hangs together......the motor needs to make maximum power near or at it's redline , it doesn't matter if it doesn't idle or bogs, we have eight miles......................

If we can make this motor rev to eight grand we have a very very fast car......

The years first Bonneville meet has just finished.....here's some vids of a turbo Nissan V6....... he did 223 and in the second run spun....and slid for 20seconds.....that's about 500m

YouTube - Dcwaterjet Z 2010 223mph

YouTube - spin2010.MP4

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Cam

I'm going to do the conversion from the series one to series two can so Wades can make us the 1664a.
this the series one block.....
P9050146.jpg

and here's the series two, we just need to drill and tap the three holes for the retainer plate.
P9050145.jpg

anyone?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
got a spare block to give it a go on?

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
how many

got a spare block to give it a go on?

jeez Dad, stop lookin over my shoulder!.......yeah we've got a couple, one is referred to as the "sand motor" it was in the car with the manifold off and somebody did a little sandblasting....the Colonel our engine guy turned up, looked into the valley of the motor and said..." have you by any chance had the sand-blaster going in here recently?"......" ah....maybe"........then he said " take this out and throw it away"... so yeah it'll be a test fit on one of those blocks and then a "big boys run" on the real block

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
certainly looks do-able but maybe something that you don't want to do with a hand drill at home

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Straight up

certainly looks do-able but maybe something that you don't want to do with a hand drill at home

I'll be making a jig like a dowelling jig., little bit of trickery and a drill press. grind the heads off and point some bolts so I can punch a template of where the holes are and maybe use an old cam to keep it all centred.

Not the kind of job to do with a mate staring at the drill....."nah back a bit, nah forward from there ....um , hang to the left.....yeah there....na na , not there..."

At nine I remember my dad looking at me with the motor from a locomotive on the model train set dismantled and saying " well , that's great , what are you going to do now"?

"Put it back together, and it'll work", I still remember the way he looked at me with a weird admiration that said " hey , you don't care either way, it's in the ride"

I've broken lots of things, some in misguided attempts to fix them when someone with the know-how could've saved me time , money and effort. Some things I've broken using them in a manner that as the old man would have said " they just weren't designed for"... either way , as I said, it's in the ride. The thing is on that ride I've learned heaps and I own that info..........Standing next to "your car" that someone else built ain't the same as standing there with a black fingernail........."yeah mate I worked my guts out in IT to pay a bunch of grease monkeys "....isn't the same as ......" yeah, I built it"

Some people do things because " that's the way everyone does it" , I'm the kind of knob-head who just has to ask why?......why can't we just do this? ....why does it have to be like that?......why pay them X when we can buy the tools to do it for that much?

Why buy a custom destroked crank for $6000 when I can get one from some bloke in Sandusky Ohio for US$65.....

But I figured you already knew all that Immortality....

The bottom line is the modification means we can still use the early cam OR the later one, it's not a "can't go back" scenario..........

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL, cheers mate. i know exactly what you mean. if you check my ride you will see that everything i do is done on a budget :D

I haven't paid a workshop since the day one ####ed up on my first V8 and basically fried my ECU because of dodgy wiring. cost them a arm and a leg for repairs but it never ran right and it took me over 5 years to figure out where they ####ed up, but i did, unfortunately it will cost me more to put it right.

i would have taken the block to work and used the drill press if i could get the boss to turn a blind eye for a night :D

about the only thing i can't do at home is machining :( and welding but i have my eye on a nice little lathe that could be the start to fix that problem. and a arc welder is cheap these days should i need one

later

Last edited:

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Knock sensor

Hi all.

The Colonel has decreed that we need to lose the knock sensor , does anyone have the skinny on the best way to do it?

Is it best to attack the ECU or is there an external fix?

Cam ordered, balance arranged, 2011 season starts in earnest.

adios.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
can turned off in the tune, so who ever tunes it for the new cam should be able to dis-able it for you :thumbsup: