Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I wanna de-stroke a 3.8

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Stainless

OK, before I go any further I just noticed that this thread has been rated with five stars. That's nice and I'd like to thank those who gave it the thumbs up, but also would like to point out that I didn't do it for attention for reason other than to find stuff out. The very title of the thread about de-stroking a 3.8 has been answered and acted upon,but I copped heaps of other useful stuff out of it.Steve from Mace Engineering has sorted the LS-1 stainless roller rockers so we can use them on the series one heads, that was a great piece of the puzzle that we needed sorting.Thanks Steve. Others have answered questions and also posed some that got me thinking.So thanks to all you other guys, I wont list you in case I leave one out but you've all been a great help on this thread.

Next: Tsunamix, I've spoken to that Raptor guy but I didn't know about those water cooled jobs. We won't be going there in the near future but in time it might be just what we're doing.

Matchport: Yeah I know Jon Amo, he came out here in 2006 with Mike Akatif's Ack Attack team and the streamliner. He and his brother Joe(who ran 272mph on a 1000cc this year) brought a turbo 1000 Kwaka , John Noonan brought his turbo Hyabusa and Sam Wheeler (Owner of the Ezy-Hook motorbike streamliner which was a world record contender last year) was sharing the driving of the liner with Noonan.

Jon Amo also started landracing.com which is a big site in the U.S devoted to guess what? I've never met but regularly correspond with Bob "Stainless" Steele ...here we are wearing his shirts ....he's a funny guy, smart and laid back...I think he was on Monster Garage or something for a bit...

_NZS2624.jpg

Stainless has a car with a couple of other guys called the "Bockscar" named after one of the planes that dropped the A Bomb and flew out of Wendover next to Bonneville ....it's got a Hyabusa motor and runs over 200mph, they've got a few bike records and now he's bought in on that liner with Amo......

Can we borrow that motor you've got there?

:rofl2:

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Aggravated Engine Assalt

Hi Everyone, long time no post....I've been busy as a fat bloke with a white beard on Christmas eve.II've had a few articles in the mags and a few more on the way, been playin' gigs and turning up for the 9 to 5 .....a few weeks back I went up to Kalkallo to Norm Hardinge's place to pick up the diff parts that came back in his container. Sadly I didn't have much time to spare when I got there...front and central was the 34 roadster that has been to Bonneville the last few years ( finally topping the 2 this year)......Behind it was the ruthlessly chopped 34 coupe with V12 and a valanced cowl that's in the build, just a tiny patina of surface rust on the hand fabbed bodywork and some big Hurst slicks on the rear.....despite the left of centre appointments there's more than just a hint of the famous Pierson Brother's Coupe there.So anyway , a few pages back I'd told you we were mustering parts to build a really low numerical ratio 10 bolt set up for the bellytank with what is essentially a Quaiffe centre.....

This shot shows the 7.5 inch Torsen series 2 Centre courtesy of our man in Phoenix Az. Sparky has been a great help in all this. Actually it was his idea, his know-how and then he tipped in some of his money and time ....so , we're forever in his debt.

PB060229.jpg

I also stopped by at Steve Angelovski's MACE Engineering .I'd bought , at his suggestion , some relatively cheap forged stainless roller tip roller rockers from the U.S made for an LS-1. Steve separated them and used Eco-tec style needle roller bearing and built a pedestal plate for them to mount to our Buick style V6 heads. Steve specializes in the Holden V6 and although there are several options for the later Ecotec there are no roller rockers that will bolt up to the Series 1. Steve was very helpful, cheaper than cheap ( hey , we got quoted some stupid amounts to get this done)and nice into the bargain.....he also waved the possibility of a group buy ( 100 sets, cheap)for some forged pistons under my nose.....hmmmmmmm...( more on that in a minute)

this is how the LS-1 rockers came....

PB060226.jpg

here with the changed bearing.....

PB060227.jpg

and here sitting on the pedestal plate...the heads are at the Colonel's otherwise I would have shot them "in situ".....
PB060228.jpg

Last night the Colonel called me up, "I'm looking at these pistons"....
I thought to myself ...."this doesn't sound good "....
"I think they're stuffed "
he said with his usual understatement.....

"They're all scuffed , some of the rings are gone.., if I didn't know better I'd have thought it had been seized solid, looks like she got hot"

374engine3.jpg

374engine2.jpg

He called me back,

"The mains are hammered , they just fell out, some have spun"

374engine1.jpg

So it seems we'll be needing some of those pistons Stevie !! We're thinking of upping the compression from the 9.6:1 we had......

That brings us to this. We need some collateral for the racing budget so were having a clearance sale.......We have a brand new , never installed Alloytec 190. We have decided to sell it......anyone got an idea what it might be worth? Sensible suggestions or offers will be considered, then I'll post it on the For Sale section here, then it'll go on the big Auction site.

Garn, git!

stewshots177.jpg

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Damn looks like toast :( what are the bores like?

I like the look of those rockers:D

Last edited:

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
Wham bam

Damn looks like toast :( what are the bores like?

I like the look of those rockers:D

er, they've seen better days apparently.......we're gonna compare the manual block I've got here or maybe the VP so we don't have to do the cam thrush, sorry thrust ( ahhhh, that's better) plate conversion........

It beat the sheet out of the crank bearings so it's just as well we got another one because I don't reckon it would be too healthy either after going what looks like low on the slippery stuff and getting severely hammered.....dunno why(the vibration), likely the flywheel coming loose but who knows...I might be wrong but the 1st and 2nd rods from the left look a little blue at the small end too, would have gone haywire if they'd let go at 6500..............ya know that's probably why I had such trouble seeing on the last run, I'm glad it didn't have a catastrophic failure....it's one thing having a donk come apart on the burn-out pad but when you're getting along at 300 clicks it'd be a reasonable excuse to poo your pants.

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
short on oil

This used to be the rear main bearing..
374Bearing.jpg

Now I know why I couldn't see on the last run I did , the motor was shaking itself to bits....

here's the underside of one of the pistons, clean as a whistle...but notice that the rod is standing up by itself, they're as good as seized.
374Piston.jpg

Dr Goggles

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Salt lakester
currently having a bit of think about what we're gonna do, but whatever it is we really need to get a wriggle on now.................Immortality had some good ideas insurance wise...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think a decent extra capacity sump may be in order. i don't think you need all those fancy trap doors because it's all in a straight line but you definitely want a decent wind-age tray to strip the oil from the crank spinning at 6000+rpm and some extra capacity to ensure you don't run out of the slippery stuff again.

ASR make great sumps (i'm getting one shortly) and they are site sponsors. maybe contact them and tell em what your doing and he may be able to supply something to suit

cheers

Bart

VNracer34G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Production Saloon, 07Omega ex Cop car, 03 TF V6
Get the Colonel to have a good look inside the timing cover/oil galleries, the ones i've seen are full of casting dags and restrictions - just begging for some relief, might be worth looking at opening up the mains galleries up too if your swapping over cam bearings, and don't forget to upgrade the relief spring.

MACE

Reaction score
I knew the car was small but didn't realise how small it was going back to the previous pic of the car!

Those pistons certainly look like they've been given a real hard time. Hopefully we'll have the group buy for the forged pistons sorted out in time.

The rockers honestly came out better then expected so much so that we may even start stocking them, as no ones sells adjustables to suit these engines.

As for that alloytec engine I know we discussed the challenges of running that engine, however I still think you should go for it :)

If not I might be interested in it ;)

Cheers
Steve