Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I was just wondering which is better Sony Xplod or Kicker or JL Audio.

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
I have JL subs and a JL amp and can recommend them. Not as flashy as some of the others but the sound is more important anyway.

Burger43

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vs Calais SeriesII & Holden VZ SS MY06 6.0L
I'd rate the JL as being the better, and the Kicker on par with the Sony, the Kicker being the over priced it usually is.

If you wanting to spend $270, and you had to pick out of the 3, i'd go with 2 of the Sony units. Simply because neither of those drivers would really perform that well in a vehicle the size of a Commodore, so i'd want as much cone surface area as possible for the money spent.

Otherwise, if you can build an enclosure, and have the tools ect on hand, then $30 worth of MDF will go a lot further with a $200-250 driver.

But neither driver has any sort of specs listed which is what you get when you go to places such as JB, so how do you know if they are suitable for your amplifier. Your call....

please explain what you mean by it not performing well in a commodore?

Burger43

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vs Calais SeriesII & Holden VZ SS MY06 6.0L
and the the other comment, i do not have an amp i was going to buy an amp when i buy a sub

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
when i had a single 12" in my commodore, i could barely hear it

(but it was with a cheap sub in one of them cheap sealed boxes you'd find at strathfield) then when i ran a single JL 12" in its ported box it was much louder which was good for some background bass with the music

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
when i had a single 12" in my commodore, i could barely hear it

You shouldn't make comments like this, it is really misleading. Really think before you post, this is a forum, people will search and these sort of comments will come up and they will be misinformed.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
You shouldn't make comments like this, it is really misleading. Really think before you post, this is a forum, people will search and these sort of comments will come up and they will be misinformed.

ok sorri Sweefu, i didnt think b4 i commented, il elaborate a bit more on what i said

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
:hmmm:

please explain?

If you have power and the right box you can sh#t all over the Sony. Both sq and spl. But for a very basic setup with a small amp the Sony subs do put out a fair bit.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
please explain what you mean by it not performing well in a commodore?

It will come down to clean output. Think how any set of speakers would perform in different sized environments.

If you had a very small car, not only would any given component be louder, but it would be clearer as your not demanding as much from it. Throw a cheap driver in a rather large vehicle, and then add some road intrusion noise, all of a sudden you might find it doesn't have enough output to be heard clearly.

That's why out of the three listed, i would be going with 2 of the cheapest. Any sound quality attributes one might have over the other, would most likely go out the window once you have to push the driver harder to perform.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
when i had a single 12" in my commodore, i could barely hear it, but don't really know what i am on about, and typically just post pointless crap

I don't know why you even bother posting in this sub forum :bang:

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Here's the best advice you'll hear:
GO DOWN TO THE STORE AND LISTEN TO THE SUBS INDIVIDUALLY, WITH YOUR CHOICE OF MUSIC AND MAKE A DECISION BASED ON YOUR EARS.