Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I will never buy a new Holden again "ever"

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
It doesn't need to - A/C units can be kept running on battery for short periods of time; in fact many Euro cars have an auxilliary battery to keep things running while the engine is hut down.

But as Pablito mentioned - it makes for expensive battery replacements.

Ultimately stop/start is more about improving laboratory consumption/emission results than real-world savings...

last car I was in that had stop start malarkey attached was a BMW, the compressor did not keep running. unless things have changed....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
My Redline isn't going anywhere either. Usually I would have bought a new V8 commodore by now........... but since they don't exist anymore, and a ZB is no more appealing to me than any other car available, the wife bought a new car instead.
So I'm keeping my car for the weekends and I'll buy a 20k 2nd hand car soon to run work kms up on.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
But the battery does not run the air conditioner compressor, it drives off the drive belt of the engine!

As for your theory on the stop/start, I was next to a car this morning that did this and you can definitely hear the starter motor engaging.It may have assistance because the engine is hot but I don't think a spark alone would crank an engine.

Used to, newer cars run the A/C from an electric motor, like the power-steering, so it's not relying on the drive belt(s).

Firing a spark into a charged cylinder will supply enough impetus to restart a warm engine. Some manufacturers use this method, some us a TS (twin solenoid) starter system.

It all depends on the manufacturer.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
My Redline isn't going anywhere either. Usually I would have bought a new V8 commodore by now........... but since they don't exist anymore, and a ZB is no more appealing to me than any other car available, the wife bought a new car instead.
So I'm keeping my car for the weekends and I'll buy a 20k 2nd hand car soon to run work kms up on.

Same my VF2 has 6700kms on it weekender that i'll keep to the end