Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I will never buy a new Holden again "ever"

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Nooope...

Sorry, not trying to be 'confrontational' :p but the engine restart doesn't use your battery or starter motor.

What happens is that the ECU stops the engine with one cylinder charged, just after TDC - so all it needs to do is fire a spark into the cylinder, that ignites the charge, shoots the piston down and the rest follow - really clever idea TBH...

:)

I just came out of driving a stop/start vehicle and I can say that each time it starts I thought wow that starter wont last long. the spark itself would not be able to power the engine alone. If that was the case then why would they need a starter and use the same methodology as you mentioned. The fist thing I was doing was disabling the stop/start as soon as I got in. As this was a long process without a switch to disable it, I left it on most of the time (there is a way to keep the car running if you have one of the two vehicle types GM has that don't contain the switch to disable stop/start). Also with the hotter days we just had the car stayed running to power the AC. Back in my Redline and feel so much better with my exhaust gases going into the air while idling.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i hate stop start for one important reason. Air-con. If the compressor stops while you are in stop start traffic it's constantly having to recover and just plain sucks.

King Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CalaisV Series2 6.2 Sportswagon
I'm more than happy to pay the relatively miniscule financial / environmental / maintenance etc costs associated with 'stop/start' technology, for the few negative reasons already touched on, and perhaps more importantly NOT to assist manufacture claims re: fuel usage.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

you're still troubled by

youre right it is your poor comprehension skills.. and a wimpy attempt to post anything of substance
Looks like Tezza was offended and is being confrontational.....Chillax mate and please finish your sentences.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'm more than happy to pay the relatively miniscule financial / environmental / maintenance etc costs associated with 'stop/start' technology, for the few negative reasons already touched on, and perhaps more importantly NOT to assist manufacture claims re: fuel usage.

I like listening to my V8 rumble at the lights. It also makes my ac nice and chilly.

Last edited:

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I like listening to my V8 rumble at the lights. It also makes my ac nice and chilly.
Me too..when I’m supposed to feel guilty for stealing Greta’s future..:(

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
John Cadogan did a video on the BS that is stop start technology. Only purpose it serves is to get the average fuel use figures down for the manufacturer.
The minuscule fuel saving benefit is well and truly redundant when it's time to replace the ridiculously expensive battery that the car needs.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
...the spark itself would not be able to power the engine alone. If that was the case then why would they need a starter and use the same methodology as you mentioned.

Firing a single charged cylinder is enough to restart a hot engine, it won't work on a cold one. Also, the cylinder only stays charged for a certain amount of time - minutes, not hours - so it certainly won't work as a restart option every time.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
i hate stop start for one important reason. Air-con. If the compressor stops while you are in stop start traffic it's constantly having to recover and just plain sucks.

It doesn't need to - A/C units can be kept running on battery for short periods of time; in fact many Euro cars have an auxilliary battery to keep things running while the engine is hut down.

But as Pablito mentioned - it makes for expensive battery replacements.

Ultimately stop/start is more about improving laboratory consumption/emission results than real-world savings...