Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I will never buy a new Holden again "ever"

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
I’ve extended the lease on my Redline. I simply cannot give it up. I really love this car.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
John Cadogan did a video on the BS that is stop start technology. Only purpose it serves is to get the average fuel use figures down for the manufacturer.
The minuscule fuel saving benefit is well and truly redundant when it's time to replace the ridiculously expensive battery that the car needs.
My daughter has a 5yo Mazda6. They had to replace the battery after 2 years. Then a year later the Dealership replaced that battery during a logbook service...they said that they accidentally drained the battery (somehow?) while servicing it and so replaced it for nothing. Now two years on, Mazda says that battery is on its way out & quoted $500 to replace. They didn’t have the $$ at the time and a few weeks later it died. She rang Marshall batteries and they came out and installed the battery they said she needs for around $320 (18mth warranty). Certainly not a cheap exercise however you look at it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
How scary was the payout figure?
The payout figure after four years didn’t bother me. I test drove a ZB VXR for 24 hours, thinking I’d upgrade, and it didn’t take - felt cheap and lightweight, getting back into the Redline was a relief. Extended to a fifth year. Honestly can’t give this car up - she gets treated like an absolute queen (7500k services by me etc.), washed regularly, the lot.

My next car will be 100% electric, who knows when that will be.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
The payout figure after four years didn’t bother me. I test drove a ZB VXR for 24 hours, thinking I’d upgrade, and it didn’t take - felt cheap and lightweight, getting back into the Redline was a relief. Extended to a fifth year. Honestly can’t give this car up - she gets treated like an absolute queen (7500k services by me etc.), washed regularly, the lot.

Yeah, the EV market is going to take off in the next couple of years - lots of established players entering the market will make it interesting.

They reckon EVs will hit price-parity in 2025. I would have bought a Model 3 if they weren't so ugly on the outside (I love the interior), and the only other EV with a decent range ATM is the I-Pace, which is a bit exy for what it offers.

You never know, if PSA take over the Holden brand, we may see an eCommodore.. :) :p

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Two things that we don't have access to, Ayres Rock and a hybrid Aussie Holden.

Holden-ECOmmodore-main.jpg

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Firing a single charged cylinder is enough to restart a hot engine, it won't work on a cold one. Also, the cylinder only stays charged for a certain amount of time - minutes, not hours - so it certainly won't work as a restart option every time.
Yep - I figured that the compressed charge pressure would leak away over time.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It doesn't need to - A/C units can be kept running on battery for short periods of time; in fact many Euro cars have an auxilliary battery to keep things running while the engine is hut down.

But as Pablito mentioned - it makes for expensive battery replacements.

Ultimately stop/start is more about improving laboratory consumption/emission results than real-world savings...
But the battery does not run the air conditioner compressor, it drives off the drive belt of the engine!

As for your theory on the stop/start, I was next to a car this morning that did this and you can definitely hear the starter motor engaging.It may have assistance because the engine is hot but I don't think a spark alone would crank an engine.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

My Redline is due for replacement. I had an Acadia for 3 weeks and now back in the Redline. Some things I miss from the newer car but the SS is just a good car. Won't be giving it up yet.