Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I will never buy a new Holden again "ever"

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@gwog3 it’s great Holden stated that wheel alignment is ok and it’s just normal wear and tear. Reason being, that if it’s normal wear and tear which requires tires be replaced every 8000kms, most normal people would consider this so sub standard that it doesn’t meet market expectations. This is defined as not ‘fit for purpose’ or not ‘of merchandisable quality’ or whatever the term is in the Australian Consumer Law. As such it should work to your advantage.

So get whatever HCC has said in writing and then ring Fair trading to discuss the strategy on how to resolve this problem (including classifying the as a possible major fault where you can choose the remedy as being a full purchase price refund).

If you want to read more about ACL and it’s workings, read the Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING thread within the VF forum as it has lots of references and views (some strongly contradictory).

@DavesSV6Tonner reason many don’t get a second opinion is they trust the dealer and don’t know anything about vehicle mechanics/electrics or have any idea about their legal rights under ACL. Ones lack of knowledge doesn’t excuse dealer fraud (=benefit by deception) or put the blame on the vehicle owner.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
12,000 kms isn't much at all. I wodner if the VXR's have softer/stickier tyres then the RSV's? My RSV has done a little over 12,000 and the fronts are probably worn and the rears about 1/2. Still Continentals but possibly harder rubber? Interesting to see what other VXR owners get from their tyres...

On a more general note, it seems that over the last 30 years cars have gotten a lot faster and relatively cheaper to buy, but also a lot more complicated, i.e. more parts, particularly in the suspension, so that for example completely re-bushing a suspension is cost prohibitive. Eg. IRS suspensions vs the old five link rear end with perhaps 10 rubber bushes in the trailing arms and panhard rod :-(

gwog3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb vxr
Social media has very little impact unless it's something stupid bad or they accidentally discriminated against some lame minority. You need to go down the Consumer laws path, you're far more likely to get a result out of them, particularly at 8k Kms old.

Seems you didn't notice excessive wear before they told you. Do the tyres actually need to be replaced?
Tyres look perfect on the outside half but gradually appear worn towards the inside half , vehicle had its first service at 2500k and there was no mention of tyre wear . Vehicle steers and handles perfectly and yes front tyres are not legal as far as wear goes

gwog3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb vxr
@gwog3 it’s great Holden stated that wheel alignment is ok and it’s just normal wear and tear. Reason being, that if it’s normal wear and tear which requires tires be replaced every 8000kms, most normal people would consider this so sub standard that it doesn’t meet market expectations. This is defined as not ‘fit for purpose’ or not ‘of merchandisable quality’ or whatever the term is in the Australian Consumer Law. As such it should work to your advantage.

So get whatever HCC has said in writing and then ring Fair trading to discuss the strategy on how to resolve this problem (including classifying the as a possible major fault where you can choose the remedy as being a full purchase price refund).

If you want to read more about ACL and it’s workings, read the Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING thread within the VF forum as it has lots of references and views (some strongly contradictory).

@DavesSV6Tonner reason many don’t get a second opinion is they trust the dealer and don’t know anything about vehicle mechanics/electrics or have any idea about their legal rights under ACL. Ones lack of knowledge doesn’t excuse dealer fraud (=benefit by deception) or put the blame on the vehicle owner.
Funny you should quote the vf sudden loss of power steering when driving , this is the reason I got rid of my vf Ssv as I lost confidence in the car when this happened to my wife and she nearly lost control as it happened going around a sweeping bend on the highway

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
The video report is a great piece of evidence.

I had the inside edge of the drivers side front tyre (factory fitted Bridgestones) on my VZ scuffing. My Holden dealer never said a word about it during any of the services.
My Tyre guy picked it up when I went in for a puncture repair. Said I needed a wheel alignment, whoever had done it before hadn't done it right.
Told him the settings were as it left GMH.

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Its an unacceptable situation for tyres to wear out at 8000kms.
My tyres last 80000kms but I get an 4 wheel alignment/balance/rotation at Jax every 100000.

But at that 10000 mark it always definitely needs a 4 wheel alignment .

Reading this issue makes me think this AWD system etc is maybe too much trouble on the ZB,s.

Badgerdog how is your car?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I worked for Holden as a mechanic for 20 years
Just as an aside, how does somebody work for Holden for 20 years and come away with no contacts or grasping of the inner workings of Customer Care?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R