Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I will never buy a new Holden again "ever"

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
I'd love to know where you got this information from, because it would be the only car where this would be the case - wider tyres give a bigger contact patch, therefore better grip, lower profile tyres give more lateral strength, reducing slip - the only advantage to a narrower tyre is reduced rolling resistance, which is only of any real use on an EV. The only advantage to a higher profile is a softer ride at the expense of handling...

Links please. I've driven both the four and six-cylinder engines in both liftback and wagon variants and the six is far more drivable, the fact there's no torque-steer on take-off makes a huge difference.

There's far more complexity in a turbocharged four than there is in a naturally-aspirated six; more wear on the oil, more stress on the engine. The four-pot also requires premium unleaded, which adds up over the life of the vehicle. The AWD isn't overly complex; it uses the Twinster system as used in many other marques and is a simple twin clutch pack arrangement - there's no differential, so it's far less 'complex' than a continuous AWD or Haltech system and has proven to be reliable.

Also, there's a massive difference in dry-handling when cornering and greatly increased safety in the wet.

Buying the base-model in any vehicle opens you up to reduced resale value as you're competing against huge numbers of fleet vehicles - always go for a mid-range model for the lowest losses.

The warranty is the same on both vehicles at five years, so 'complexity' isn't really an issue either way, and the AWD system is used in far more 'performance-oriented' vehicles than the V6 ZB.

Kos, I'd strongly suggest you drive both vehicles back-to-back before making the decision.
Keep in mind that an RS-V only costs around $5k more than an RS and the seats are another step-up in comfort & there's a whole host of extras for the money...

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
re the 17 inch tyres being a better solution for the LT.. I extensively read all I could about the LT b4 I drove both the 4 and the six, and ultimately bought the LT. I recall I googled ' reviews of ZB LT " etc and perhaps 'Holden engineers reviews' .. It gets painstaking to look for all this again. I am guessing that perhaps it relates to the fact that the ZB and I presume the RS too is front wheel drive. But I repeat, it was a clear response by them that the 17 inch tyres were much better for the LT. I listen to these engineers rather than bloggers. I do make errors too Also as I said earlier, it is very clear that the 4 cyl 2 litre petrol turbo came up much better with the pro reviewers. I recall that Matt Campbell said that the 2 litre was virtually on a par with the 6 in terms of 0-60 pace. It is a lighter car, there is definitely less kerb weight with the LT. It became an easier decision for me

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
I drove both the 4 cylinder and V6 before my purchase . The 4 cylinder was very zippy and slipped through the gears with ease. The V6 was just as zippy but had stacks in reserve . If I am overtaking at 110km/H on a single lane country road I want to be sure u can change down fast and have plenty in reserve to pass a b double or 4 cars at once. The V6 delivers here. For city driving the 4 cylinder is great but for high speed country you notice the V6 benefits .

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II - Black Edition
You honestly saying you'd rather have an LT over a VXR..?

The VXRs tends to get a bad rap from some users. I've driven the RS, RSV and two VXRs and the Arcadia... The VXRs win hands down. My VF II Black Edition does not compare to the Euro Styling and detail.
VXRs are only value for money at low mileage demo's or exec driven..I would never pay retail prices.
I've ordered mine (Demo).. Delivery next week.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Same gearbox - how is it in 'too high a gear'?
QUOTE]
Maybe it's me but V6 feels like it lacks balls especially of the line, 2 feels punchy at any revs.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
The VXRs tends to get a bad rap from some users. I've driven the RS, RSV and two VXRs and the Arcadia... The VXRs win hands down. My VF II Black Edition does not compare to the Euro Styling and detail.
VXRs are only value for money at low mileage demo's or exec driven..I would never pay retail prices.
I've ordered mine (Demo).. Delivery next week.
Congratulations! :D - what colour did you get?

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
I drove both the 4 cylinder and V6 before my purchase . The 4 cylinder was very zippy and slipped through the gears with ease. The V6 was just as zippy but had stacks in reserve . If I am overtaking at 110km/H on a single lane country road I want to be sure u can change down fast and have plenty in reserve to pass a b double or 4 cars at once. The V6 delivers here. For city driving the 4 cylinder is great but for high speed country you notice the V6 benefits .
Exactly; the lack of lag and the extra power is what sold me on the six - like you, I need the 'longer legs' for country driving...

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
re the 17 inch tyres being a better solution for the LT.. I extensively read all I could about the LT b4 I drove both the 4 and the six, and ultimately bought the LT. I recall I googled ' reviews of ZB LT " etc and perhaps 'Holden engineers reviews' .. It gets painstaking to look for all this again. I am guessing that perhaps it relates to the fact that the ZB and I presume the RS too is front wheel drive. But I repeat, it was a clear response by them that the 17 inch tyres were much better for the LT. I listen to these engineers rather than bloggers. I do make errors too Also as I said earlier, it is very clear that the 4 cyl 2 litre petrol turbo came up much better with the pro reviewers. I recall that Matt Campbell said that the 2 litre was virtually on a par with the 6 in terms of 0-60 pace. It is a lighter car, there is definitely less kerb weight with the LT. It became an easier decision for me
Again, the V6 AWD weighs 10% more than the four, but produces 23% more power. Do the maths.

The only benefit of the 17" wheels is to provide a softer ride due to the higher sidewalls.

That's it, there's absolutely no other benefit dynamically.

However, you do save money when you need to buy new tyres! :)

Last edited: