Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

i work 9 1/2 hours and only get paid for 8, legal?

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
is this legal? i drive a truck and maybe if im lucky i get to pull over for 10 minutes once a week to eat lunch if not i have to eat and drive at the same time (very dangerous sometimes) and i dont get any 15 minute breaks or anything is this right? im a casual but i work full time. im guna say something tomoro to him as ive just worked this out and im just a bit worried about getting fired, but at the same time id rather not work there than work 1 & 1/2 hours for free everyday,

anyone got some advice for me?

cheers in advance

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
How long a lunch break are you allocated? You don't get paid for a lunch break whether you take it or not, that's up to you to do.

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
How long a lunch break are you allocated? You don't get paid for a lunch break whether you take it or not, that's up to you to do.

the boss's words "if u get a chance u can take 20 minutes" i expect to not get paid for half hour a day for lunch but he know i never get lunch and that doesnt account for the extra hour and ten minutes everyday?

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
also i dont pull over to have my lunch brakes most days because he gives me to much work and if i were to have lunch i would never get home and would miss maybe my last 2 drops, the more i think about this job the worse it sounds

rob_phill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
sounds like hell to me. i have never worked unpaid overtime (well occaisionally i get in early, but usually try to leave early as well) and can't stand the idea of it.

if there is 'too much work' my boss can either fire me, or get someone else to take some of the load.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i was a truck driver copping exactly what you are copping now, massive near impossible runs and no time to stop even for a quick smoke till i finally threw it in ,best thing i did they treat drivers like ****.

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
i have to eat and drive at the same time (very dangerous sometimes)

Also Illeagal Lol.

As for break times no idea i think its up to the individual employer.

I work as a casual night filler and we are required to take them whether we want to or not, but the manager usually turns a blind eye if its busy.

3 Hrs - No breaks
4-5 Hrs - 15 Min
6-7 Hrs - 30 Min or 2x15 Min
8+ Hrs 1 Hour Unpaid Break

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
cart drugs for lost pay.

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
is this legal? i drive a truck and maybe if im lucky i get to pull over for 10 minutes once a week to eat lunch if not i have to eat and drive at the same time (very dangerous sometimes) and i dont get any 15 minute breaks or anything is this right? im a casual but i work full time. im guna say something tomoro to him as ive just worked this out and im just a bit worried about getting fired, but at the same time id rather not work there than work 1 & 1/2 hours for free everyday,

anyone got some advice for me?

cheers in advance

Here is a simple read (albeit a long read)
http://www.njmandco.com.au/files/AustralianFairPayandConditionsStandard.pdf

and go here
Home - Fair Work Ombudsman

There are way too many variables to give any advise on the info you've provided but on face value, it appears you are being exploited. One thing I can tell you though is your employer cannot terminate you for complaining about underpaying wages without breaking the law. Even if your employer sacks you for something else after, and uses that as the reason is still not going to protect him.

How long have you been in his employ. If longer than 12 months doing the same shifts, it is manditory for your employer to offer you in writing fulltime employment. It's your choice to accept the offer or not. A lot of employers (especially in transport) are "old school" but unfortunately for them, they have no choice to keep up with legislation. I exceed it because my guys are the backbone of my business.

I encourage my guys to stop if they're hungry or just need a break. I don't care what time it is.

Cheers