Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IAC Pintle

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Hey peoples, just wondering why you need to adjust the IAC valve pintle to 28mm? Wont it just re-adjust itself? i mean it moves up and down anyways till it finds where the car is idling normally, if the pintle is too far out wont it just pull itself back down to a normal range?

Last time i had mine out i didnt adjust the pintle and when i whacked it back in, the car revved heaps high for a while then it slowly settled back to normal now the car starts fine, idles okay.

Has this buggered up the range that the pintle can move? is a different voltage to control pintle position now required to obtain normal idle and possibly making my ecu think something it shouldn't? Should i go and actually pull it out and adjust it for any reason?

Cheers,
Apoc.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
moving the pintle manually is a crock as it will re adjust itself to the correct spot when the base idle resets.
best not mess with it as manually moving it can damage it if not dome carefully

Rob

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
from what i remember in the gregories manual, it says if the pintle is longer than 28mm, its time to replace. not to physically adjust ti to 28mm

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
"from what i remember in the gregories manual, it says if the pintle is longer than 28mm, its time to replace. not to physically adjust ti to 28mm" - hakhawk

Nah dude i have a gregories manual and it just says; "If the distance is greater than 28mm, push the pintle towards the valve body while moving it slightly side to side untill it retracts to a distance less than 28mm" - gregory's 1989 print

"moving the pintle manually is a crock as it will re adjust itself to the correct spot when the base idle resets.
best not mess with it as manually moving it can damage it if not dome carefully" - Doctor Bob

This is sort of what i thought, anyone else got any ideas?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ahh, yep, i remember now, thats what mine says. just been a while saince ive looked at it.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
Ive replaced an IAC valve before with a new one. You always have to adjust them (the brand new one was greater than 28mm). If it aint adjusted (like i did once) and is bigger than 28mm, the car will stall/not start/not idle. The pintle moves up and down controlling the air flow. If its sealed (ie distance greater than 28mm), then there will be no airflow and hence the car will stall.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Nikkojoe said:
Ive replaced an IAC valve before with a new one. You always have to adjust them (the brand new one was greater than 28mm). If it aint adjusted (like i did once) and is bigger than 28mm, the car will stall/not start/not idle. The pintle moves up and down controlling the air flow. If its sealed (ie distance greater than 28mm), then there will be no airflow and hence the car will stall.

the car will stall until the IAC resets

Rob

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
Doctor Bob said:
the car will stall until the IAC resets

Rob

Yeah forgot to add that too. Had to give it a lot of revs before it worked like normal again (this was before i read gregories manual).....