Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ideal Launch Technique VP V6

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Just wanting people opinions on how to get the best take off from a vp v6, e.g gunning from standstill or revving up to certain amount while holding down brake.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Wow, loaded question...

Lol, auto/manual?

Standard? Stock? Power Output?

As mine is manual and stock, i will hold it at around 1800-2k and then drop the clutch.. and less and it bogs down and any more and itll just spint he wheels.. My clutch is H/D So it tends to be on/off a lot in terms of getting it right...

The launch is always dependant of the cars power levels and trans setup...

aZk.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
3000rpm, then give it 3/4 clutch and 3/4 gas. A second or two into the wheelspin, let the clutch out and floor it.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
im and auto so i tend to bring my revs up to around 2500 and slam it do the ground wile taking the brake off at green but it depends on the track surface and weather eg if its hot and the track is sticky then bring on the revs if its cold be prepared to lose some traction at the take off as a result and lower the revs accordingly

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
auto guys, sif i have a manual. stock part from few bolt ons and foamy tune

thanks guys

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
well your in the same boat as me like i said it depends how the day is cold hot sticky i found best results in doing what i said above at my local strip but im sure to let some big number v8s go first to warm up the 1st section of the strip

its hard to say what to do unless you are there on the day just go to a test and tune and have fun try a few diffrent ways to launch and you will soon find the sweet spot for you

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
also note that you have irs if i tried that in my wagon i'd skipping out sideways andeasily breaking into wheelspin (gotta love 14's :p)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
true i think this is a question with to many variables like i said just go try
:thumbsup:

yep theres a lot of variables your just going to have to try a few things stalling it up a bit will probably help improve your times so try that at a few different rpm ranges

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
I cant launch my VN V6 supercharged at all, (manual), all i can do is ease it off the clutch and then give it abit, but if i just floor it and let the clutch out to quick it will bad em up, i tried it at different RPM same thing, it will bounce kinda like a front wheel drive when you dump the clutch for a burnout, is that axle tramp?, its also mini-spooled. the tires have been from 14s 195, 15s 215 highway max and 235 40 R18s.