Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ideas for a modern classic

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Mazda RX8
Toyota MR2 3sgte
E28 & E34 535i/535is
Honda Civic Type R
Renault Megane & Clio RS

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Realistically it depends on whether you want something to drive or whether you want something to put away.

The old senators/granges etc are great and will be worth more in times to come. BUT, they're expensive to run and replace parts on (think big brakes, older technology etc - especially with the Aussie engine). Side-skirts, bumpers and badges are hard to come across, and they're not cheap when you come across them. With a car like that you'll find that you're more careful about where you leave your car, which is both a good and a bad thing I suppose. I'm really happy with my Senator, but it's not something I'm willing to spend money on at this stage. I really bought it as an investment more than anything else. I wasn't even looking for another car at the time.

For a daily driver I'd be looking at something like a VX or VY Calais (or International if you want something a little more rare) with the ls1. Easy to get parts form great running gear and not too expensive to run; with the potential for them to appreciate in the future. The 6L VZ's are way overpriced for what they at the moment.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Realistically it depends on whether you want something to drive or whether you want something to put away.

The old senators/granges etc are great and will be worth more in times to come. BUT, they're expensive to run and replace parts on (think big brakes, older technology etc - especially with the Aussie engine). Side-skirts, bumpers and badges are hard to come across, and they're not cheap when you come across them. With a car like that you'll find that you're more careful about where you leave your car, which is both a good and a bad thing I suppose. I'm really happy with my Senator, but it's not something I'm willing to spend money on at this stage. I really bought it as an investment more than anything else. I wasn't even looking for another car at the time.

For a daily driver I'd be looking at something like a VX or VY Calais (or International if you want something a little more rare) with the ls1. Easy to get parts form great running gear and not too expensive to run; with the potential for them to appreciate in the future. The 6L VZ's are way overpriced for what they at the moment.

The vehicle would be for weekend drives, car club outings, and displaying at car shows. I have a '15 Mazda3 as my daily.

A concern I have with the Volvo is that it uses a huge amount of fuel for not a lot of performance. Despite being a 4cyl injected manual, I'm looking at Highway 10L/100km, 18L/100km in town and it has the basic performance of maybe a 90s Hyundai Excel. I am willing to spend that amount in fuel if I can get good performance out of it - however in the interest of saving a bit of $$$ on fuel, and for easier parking, I also wouldn't mind something a bit smaller like an E36/E46 BMW 3-series. I figure a nice clean V8 Calais or especially SS would get more show and shine attention than a 15-25 yr old 3-series BMW, but the BMW may be more practical.

There is insurance to worry about as well. 3-series BMW and Commodore SS insurance is about the same but I reckon HSV insurance would be a lot more.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well 4 weeks on I've narrowed choice down to a BMW E36 (92-98) 6cyl coupe, or a VT-VY Commodore SS

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
I'd of kept the MX-5 on the list, particularly first gen. As much as I love my VT as a daily driver and I know it will go forever and VTs on will remain common sights for many more years. I think an original MX-5 would suit better as a fun club car with better longer term prospects. Just an opinion and ultimately you need to pick what's right for you.

Within the specs you prescribed I'd also consider looking for KE/KF Laser TX3 Turbo 4WD, any late 80s Supra twin turbo with digital dash, pre 86 Cordia/Starion turbo, first gen MX-6 Turbo 4WS, or dare I say instead of a V8 Commodore I'd go after a ZK/ZL Fairlane, could have a lot of fun with one of those beasts!

Good luck with the quest, I can't wait to score a hobby car/classic, about 10 years away for me, once the kids are gone.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Good luck with the quest, I can't wait to score a hobby car/classic, about 10 years away for me, once the kids are gone.

I probably have 15 years minimum before my kids move out. I'll then buy a shitter van for work and leave it in the street and buy some sort of classic for the garage

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd of kept the MX-5 on the list, particularly first gen. As much as I love my VT as a daily driver and I know it will go forever and VTs on will remain common sights for many more years. I think an original MX-5 would suit better as a fun club car with better longer term prospects. Just an opinion and ultimately you need to pick what's right for you.

Within the specs you prescribed I'd also consider looking for KE/KF Laser TX3 Turbo 4WD, any late 80s Supra twin turbo with digital dash, pre 86 Cordia/Starion turbo, first gen MX-6 Turbo 4WS, or dare I say instead of a V8 Commodore I'd go after a ZK/ZL Fairlane, could have a lot of fun with one of those beasts!

I did consider the MX-5 but.....not to be sexist or anything, it just seems....a bit too feminine. Same reason why I didn't consider Mercs of the vintage. styling is too boring, and yep I view Merc as a more feminine brand than BMW...for some reason....dunno, maybe BMW is more sporty to me.

I would like a more modern vehicle with factory 2pak paint. An issue with older classics from the 80s is that they usually came in factory acrylic - which is fine up until any repairs are needed. Very, very few shops in my area does acrylic, and from experience 2pak vs Acrylic will never, ever match correctly. Also from experience as a customer you cannot get Paintless Dent Repair done on acrylic. Also a more modern 90s-00s car is from an era I can be a bit nostalgic about (I'm shortly turning 34). In saying that with the average age of an Aussie car at about 9 yrs, and an average scrapping age of 15-20, very soon the VTs will start disappearing enmasse. You don't see quite the number of VT-VX that you used to.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I agree about the VT and VX scrapping rate. Now starting to see quite a few parked in yards with major components removed and slowly being overgrown.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Personally I wouldn't let paint affect my choice, not when acrylic is so easy to learn and legal to spray in your garage. I prepped, sprayed and compound polished this old gal in the open garage behind it :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Buy a Monaro.