Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ideas for what commodore i should buy

TheNewKid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
hello fellow members

I am new to just commodores and im curious on all the opinions on what kind of commodore i should buy, as i am about to get my red p plates in queensland. Ive been pretty set on getting a vz sv6 but ive been reading and apparently its known to not be one of the fastest cars around, or have i been miss led?

Im after a car that isnt the fastest but its up there, and its got quite a nice style and shape to it. That is also quite easy to modify and add things to the car, i do plan to spend a fair bit on the car making it not one of a kind but still unique.

What are your suggestions, im open to all ideas and will consider them all. but i completely cut out the idea of buying a VE as i do not like the shape of them at all.

Looking forward to what you all have to offer and say, cheers.
TheNewKid

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I reckon get a nice vy - vz slam it and get an LSD with some diff gears. Best mod you can do for your v6 imo. An exhaust, tune/chip and good air intake is good to because it helps your engine run more efficiently and gives you better economy aswell as power.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
no you haven't been misled. vz sv6's aren't the fastest cars around.... although they have more than enough power for someone who hasn't even got their reds yet. As for performance mods you shouldn't bother with a 6. As for getting a VE I would give yourself some time... I didn't like the look of VE's when they came out but they grew on me and now they're probs tying with my favourite kind of commodore- VY's. Think of the Omega. It may look pretty gay, but it produces the same power as the vz sv6 and if you smack a nice pair of rims on and lower it, it will start looking sick.

trent d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive
Buy a stock one keep it stock buy save you money and buy a v8 when your off you p's

Still grounded

Charles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
What trent d said... Save your money and buy an 8... I got a VZ Clubsport added an exhaust and afew other engine mods and new mags...Looks as nice and goes as hard as the new Clubbies...

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
getting your p's and looking for the fastest commodore, what ever happened to reliability and safety features like number of airbags. ok rant over. the best commodore imo is the vy with as low km as you can find. if money isnt an option a berlina or calais. the v6 ecotec motor is very good on fuel and being a p plater i think getting the most from your petrol is everything. your mates $20 for fuel will buy u more laps...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
maybe look at a little luxury - there is great value in a sub 150, 000k Calais from VXII and up.

Forget performance and save those pennies for a V8, do stereo installs and all that kind of stuff.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
getting your p's and looking for the fastest commodore, what ever happened to reliability and safety features like number of airbags. ok rant over. the best commodore imo is the vy with as low km as you can find. if money isnt an option a berlina or calais. the v6 ecotec motor is very good on fuel and being a p plater i think getting the most from your petrol is everything. your mates $20 for fuel will buy u more laps...

Agreed. VY V6 is the bargain buy of the commodore range and being the last of the ecotecs, its very reliable

matvex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh Commodore
VY is perfect. You young ones are spoilt with choice and value. My first car was a hand me down VH wagon two tone blue starfire 4cl on Gas!

Enjoy your hunting VY or even a series 2 VX are good value too.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
VY VY VY.....Why? Best value for money by far and RELIABLE as long as you purchase a good one.......have it tested properly before purchase.....RACQ perhaps.

Remember it's not just the cost of the car, it's the ongoing costs......registration, proper FULL insurance cover, proper servicing often, tyres, fuel etc. etc. Good luck.