Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[253] Identify starter motor

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey all,

the starter in the HJ died on the weekend. Okay so time for a new one.

I have found a bloke who can sell me one for a reasonable price, til he asks "is it the reduction gear or standard, i have both, which one do you need"

How the heck do I tell which one I have? I believe its the standard one going off my research.

If this is a reduction gear then its not that because the case is all wrong ...

!BP3Pe)gCGk~$(KGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBJ14QpjCsw~~_1.JPG

BUT then I find this one listed as a reduction gear too, problem is the case looks similar but the solenoid is shorter

0298_1.JPG

So I find a random ad for this one, which seems to be the baby

7c34_1.JPG

Is that last one a standard starter? Also while Im at it for curiosities sake, whats with the variations? I assume maybe 253/308/350 varients?

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
i have since confirmed its a standard starter, but still, whats with the variations?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
reduction starter will bolt straight in where yours was. It will be a fair bit smaller and tends to start an older car quicker. great on a V8. someone might get more technical than that - i have no idea how they work but i suggest if they are pretty close in price grab the reduction one.

I switched to one on the vl and never looked back (took a while to cold start while it was straight gas).

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
just to add - the last one looks like the one i had - reduction ones are newer. they make them as a swappable part for most starter motors now - ie the bolt pattern on your pic might look wrong but they would have one to suit your vehicle.