Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Identify VN VP VQ VR VS Trip Computer

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
You come up with all sorts of fantastic info Shane, you're a legend. You should start up your own commodore tech website :p

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
OK found out that the VR trip computer is very different from the VN/VP/VQ units. The speed alert and low fuel are incorrect and will not function correctly.

Fit a VR trip computer to a VN/VP/VQ = FAIL. trust me I know :(

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
haha yeah, i don't think i ever told you that my speed alert never worked with the vr trip... which is why i thought it was a speed sensor not sending a signal, no cruise and no alert.

Arhuh...... I have 2 more clusters to fix - but wont make that mistake again.:bang: I've scored some VN trip computer's off Zuicider from WA that I can use to replace the dodgy job I've done.

We live n learn:thumbsup:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is some info on how to identify S2 VQ V8 tacho and temp gauge

Attachments

• VQ_41772_PCB.JPG
    VQ_41772_PCB.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 579
  • VQ_41772_V8_Temp_gauge_.JPG
    VQ_41772_V8_Temp_gauge_.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 685
  • VQ_41772_V8_Tacho.JPG
    VQ_41772_V8_Tacho.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 552

91vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Vr Wagon
OK found out that the VR trip computer is very different from the VN/VP/VQ units. The speed alert and low fuel are incorrect and will not function correctly.

Ya i know that now. got it done in mine. thanks for doing me a replacement shane. your a legend :bow: :yeah:

DrJeckyl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN commodore S1 & VXII Berlina LS1

So if the trip computer is from an vn, and the rest of the cluster is from a vr its a fail?

I get odo, dist till empty, etc but the but every time I turn the igintion off, the computer loses that info and recalculates when its turn on again, plus a few other minor issues.

I had to do a solder job on the copper tracks on the back of the cluster, to jump burnt sections.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
So if the trip computer is from an vn, and the rest of the cluster is from a vr its a fail?

I get odo, dist till empty, etc but the but every time I turn the igintion off, the computer loses that info and recalculates when its turn on again, plus a few other minor issues.

I had to do a solder job on the copper tracks on the back of the cluster, to jump burnt sections.

The VR PCB on the back of the cluster is different - even if you change the wires to suit the VN wiring pin out the regulator feed power different. TheVR cluster only has 9 pins into the regulator - the VN has 10 and the low fuel and speed alert is opposite.

The VR gauges will work in a VN cluster. If you fit a VN PCB & regulator your problem will be fixed - thats my guess. :thumbsup:

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but it seems knowone really plays with this stuff anymore..
I have a red pcb trip computer that epc list as being a superseded number for VQ series 1 but the date stamp on the part is 1994..

Ive also used VQ blue computer in V8 cluster retrofitted with a VR V6 tacho in a series 1 VN calais and dont recall any issues.

would it be safe to say then that all Vn Vq and Vp trip computers are interchangable?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Now 25-30 years have gone I'm finding the Level 3 trip computer has been the real weak link in my car. In my experience yes, the trip computers are interchangeable. The displays are different-there's a post on that somewhere.
Note. The tacho and temp gauge must match the number of cylinders-colour codes are on the mounting studs for a VQ it's green for 8 blue for 6. A 6 cylinder tacho can be modified to work with 8 cylinders by changing resistors- there's a post on that here also. I'm told the 6 cylinder temp gauge readings are fairly close to an 8 cylinder but I've never used one in my 8.
These day's I'm finding the hardest part to get for trip computers is the white plastic box- heat has destroyed most of them and they must be strong enough to clamp the LCD's tightly for them to work.