Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snerty

Snerty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais LV2 M21 GU4
I have a 1998 Acclaim which was given to me by my employer. It was a company car that had been depreciated well past it's value and dented on most panels, still, only 210k on the clock. The problem is that one of the former employee's was planning a bit of a shifty and removed the I.D tags...All of them and then lost them before he could use them for his dodgy dealings .
The tag behind the L/H front indicator is still there but (as it has been sugested in other posts I have read) it isnt the v.i.n no.

Now the problem... I am respraying it a different color and fitting a supercharged V6 . Does this mean I have to change the computer because I believe the computer codes are the only thing that can identify this car...The prefered option would be to re-chip the computer.
Or ...With the right equipment, could the new computer be programmed with the old codes?

Last edited:

Rubber_Burnin_Gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S2
so he also took the plate out from under the windscreen on the passenger side??

also, if you know the owner previous to this other guy removing the tags, they should have an old set of rego papers, this should have the VIN number on it

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
if its registered you can get the vin no off the sticker or go into vic roads
the vin nos also in the windscreen on the passanger side

as for the ecu, just swap the memcal with a supercharged one or "re-chip" it

hope this helps:)

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
All sounds a bit dodgy to me. To avoid any 'heart-ache' further down the track, why not get in touch with Vic Roads and arrange for them to inspect it. Regardless of what you say, I reckon you've got a suspect 'stolen/rebuilt' vehicle. If you don't get it checked and validated and are stopped by Police, when they check for identifying marks etc and there aren't any they are very likely to impound the vehicle until they are satisfied it is 'legit and all checks out OK. I suspect that you will also have problems with the annual vehicle inspection if they can't match VIN etc with paperwork.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The number behind the blinker is the BODY No. or Serial No in the VIN.

The VIN will be like this.

6H8VTK69HWL###### The Body No will be between L262500 & L371100 (Approx)

Replace 69 with 35 if its a wagon.

The Acclaim was based on the Executive so will have a K after the VT.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Have you checked the floorpan? I don't know if VTs have this, but I know VY/VZs have the VIN on the floor pan on the driver's side. Move the driver's seat all the way back and you should find a slit in the carpet. Like I said, i'm not sure if VTs had this, but in a VY/VZ, you can lift this bit of carpet up to reveal the VIN number.

However, this still may not help - VTs may not have had this, not to mention that even if they did, someone could've sanded it off.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Definately get it confirmed by Vic Roads or the police before spending any money.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Read the original post like this:

"I've stolen a car and want to rebirth it, where are all the ID tags and what are they so I know what I am looking for".

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Read the original post like this:

"I've stolen a car and want to rebirth it, where are all the ID tags and what are they so I know what I am looking for".

Hmm mmmm.
The body number will still give it away! It's on just about everything in the car:)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just sounds sus, basically no posts, and he wants to know this.