Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

idle issues

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Hey Guys.
Well Holden F**ed up the dates of the Booking. was meant to go in two days ago. No one rang me from Holden to ask if i could drop it in.... I went ballisticoe today! So the car didnt get done. FFS. I have taken it to everywhere. they say they have cleared codes but the Trac Off always reappears. Take it back to same blokes again, and they all say "it could be 1 sensor playing up, acting all the other sensors up. We don't really know where to start or what to replace, just take it to holden mate". ( Obviously has 4 codes as they all say they clear them, but all return). No one has the gear here in town to do scoping and the like or there just not interested in finding out y. Just interested in taking your money and not giving 2 F***s, as any mining town is like. Gremlins have got in somewhere.

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Ok well at least they are honest in saying they don't know where to start and what to replace. In other words its beyond them and they are out of their depth. There's no point in getting angry about it dude and if your being like that towards them they won't want to deal with you. If you came into my shop like that i'd send you on your way. Take it to Holden as they will be able to give you the answers your looking for. But like i said that money your spending is just for the diagnoses and whatever is actually the problem is going to cost. Could be cheap or could be expensive. Not every workshop has the equipment or the skills to fix everything and you need to realize this. Some shops are still just parts fitters, some advanced diagnostics. Anything is fixable you just have to be a little patient.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
All good Futech.
was pretty good with them all, I give them all a crack at it. Just frustrated with Holden ( another story they can't even order the right parts) and car in particular. I have found a Mech that's interested in the problems and root cause. He says he has all the diagnostic equipment to check car. He already ordered the iac and him and I are fitting it tomorrow with a few drinks..... says if it didn't fix problem, no charge. it played up bad tonight just before doing a burnout. it was hunting for idle and cel came on. Also Trac had already gone off too. it just didn't want to do it tonight, I mean it seemed to have no power.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Hi All.
Mechanic ordered a iac. cleaned the tb before we whacked the iac in. It seems to have fixed the problem of a high idle. The new one did play up for the first 30 mins. Have travelled over 1600 km since installed and no issues yet. Its not throwing Trac off light, it idles up when a/c is on. This may sound silly.... but it feels like it has more stick now, not sluggish. Seems to have fixed the issues.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
issues are back, not throwing codes but. Only idles high. Seems to play up more so on the hotter days. Still have to pull over, turn off, open door and restart..... then its all good till the next time. I just dont understand y it is still doing it and I'm just about ready to sell whole car for one dollar out of frustration. Mechanic have replaced all vacuum hoses in engine bay. Replaced idle motor with new genuine. Tightened intake bolts. Checked all intake connections. Is the PCM faulty on this circut (apparently controls the iac- used to reset after any disconnection or replacement) or is it the Charcoal canister purge valve sensor on top of rocker cover not working properly as it has something to do with vacuum too..... Any input is great.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Get the mechanic to check the live data, could be o2 sensors. How high is it idling?

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Is it stalling? If so i wonder if it's the thermostat ?

Nah not stalling mate. High Speed Fans come on at 108*Celsius when the needle is just over half..... takes about 60 secs to bring back down to 94*C. Low Speed on at 94*C. Off at 88*C/below 88*C or faster than 88km/h. If i have A/C on it will be low speed all the time until temp reaches 108*C. Lately mine has been getting up there when idling and A/C on.
taken from Holden Workshop Manual on Gen III DTC's:

INFO:
If coolant is over 132* for more than 10 secs will throw a code of P1258 ENGINE COOLANT OVER TEMP. FUEL DISABLED.
The PCM will disable random several injectors, will throw a light and log a DTC when diagnostics run and fail. Mine is not doing this

Cheers

Last edited:

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Get the mechanic to check the live data, could be o2 sensors. How high is it idling?

We checked all four with a Launch Tech 2 Live data Recorder/ Reader.
The Bank 1 (Left) and Bank 2 (Right) each switch around .450 (std value) - .458 V consistently. This will vary between values given << when idling, revving or under load (accelerating, driving etc).
Not sure how they are meant to operate?

Cheers