Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

idle issues

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Hi all. started clubby from cold this morning and did not want to idle. idle was around 250 - 500 rpm. blippd the throttle up to 1500 and still went back down to 500 rpms. driving to work it hung around 1300rpm when the clutch was in. Could this be an iac playing up and need replacement.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
yes and is no better. been going on since December 2012.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Bloody Cars;
Cleaned the IAC a while back, along with the throttle body as far as i can reach, was really dirty, never done maf, afraid ill f** it even with the right stuff..... Numerous codes have come up since December including Trac OFF (ABS MODULE) when this happens, it idles high around 2000 rpm and runs rough like its missing. Other codes were TPS Voltage low, ABS Fault (assuming the trac off). a few others i cant remember now.
Recently had the shits so i took it in to clear codes with a scan tool. Errors it found were:

PCM/PIM- set
INS DTC STATUS- DTC's set
ABS/ETC DTC STATUS- DTC's set
SRS- No codes
ECC- No codes

I tried to clear the ABS/ETC as it always plays up... the tool tried to clear the code...... ABS FAULT was flashing on the dash while tool still connected when trying to clear code. I went thru and tried about 4 times.... Still flashing and not cleared. Tool also showed the 4x 02 Sensors were all round the voltage .45x Volts. did not change according to revs or driving..apparently this should be from .1v to 1.0V lean to rich...? fuel economy is ok for a v8... Hwy is 800km to a tank, town is 350 max at the best of times. recently replaced leads with blue bosch ones, couldn't be rootin round with plugs, let the mech do it ( had to get car going ). Checked all vacuum lines that i know of with soapy water spray, no effect anywhere. can one sensor wreek havoc on the whole system, just cause computer gets wrong signals all the time and seems like it goes into limbo mode..?
Oh yeh i also need to put in a water pump and 2 front coils. Thinking about dumping the clubby on the side of the road and going back to the old 97 v6 magna i had before. When this happened this morning, it was ok after it warmed up. Its going into holden tomorow so they can place their tech 2 on it...hoping it will clear all of them @ $140.00/hr.
Just about to leave work and start it. see what it does.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
I'm no expert, and guys like Futech and other really helpful guys on the forum will be able to give a better idea than me about whats going on but from you have posted i think you might have a faulty TPS which would effect your idle and traction control and i suspect ABS as well. The Holden guys will be able to tell you for sure.
Personally if i was you i would have done the spark plugs at the same time as the coils. Chances are they have never been changed before and you'll find that the new coils and sparks will benefit your fuel economy.
Get some CRC thrott-le-body cleaner and spray the crap out of the inside of your throttle body. Almost certainly there is a lot more crap in there then you got out at fingers lenght. Also get some CRC MAF cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and spray your MAF with it until clean.

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Hey HSV,
The codes you have listed are not the actual codes they are just telling you there is faults in those system. You need to use your scan tool and go into each individual section and scan the faults there. Then you will have some answers as what you have posted doesnt tell us anything. You won't be able to clear the codes if they are "hard" faults. In other words it won't clear until you have fixed the problem. When checking for vac leaks use a smoke machine. Soapy water waste of time. When cleaning a throttle body pull the whole thing off the car, do it right. Have you had a flat battery by chance? Usually low voltage codes are due to flat batterys and then jump starting. Also when you have a lot of fault codes in a system that alone can cause vehicles to run bad. Computer thinks one thing does another etc etc. As for taking it to Holden that is not necessary any good workshop will be able to diagnose this for you and you def won't be getting charge a ridiculous $140 an hour. You also have to think about this. That diagnoses is just that, once they find whats actually wrong then you have all that cost on top. And being genuine holden i can only imagine you getting ass pumped over the counter for a months wage. You don't have to go to a franchise dealership to get your vehicle sorted. Iv'e worked with people who have been "dealer" trained and to be honest im yet to come across one that actually has any real mechanical knowledge nor can think for themselves. On top of this your probably paying for the apprentice to do this pretty simple job. Your call my friend.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Hey thanks Futech and NU13.
I belive they are hard codes as everyone in town has had a go clearing them, but they just return. I really think that the tps is the culprit causing all these dramas as it always lights up "Trac off", noises and runs rough. Then the high idle issue. I really wanted to sort this out, but continue throwing money at it in trying to get it fixed..... I'm at my wits end n totally lost interest in it. Last scan tool it had on it, which was a launch tech 2 (chinese crap) couldn't recognize the fault code "1176867351 not found refer dealer". Ill let Holden find the prob this time and go from there. Hopefully they stick by their word and only charge 1hr..... for 10 mins work. Yes had a crook battery around winter.... new one fixed most problems untill hot weather arrived. Now it has a party as soon as you turn the key. Mech reckons its the idle motor..... I reckon its the tps. So, that's y its going to Holden tomorrow cause no one can tell me for certain what's f***.

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Hey,
The launch should have been able to give you the readout. There's nothing wrong with it. I use the launch 2, Bosch KTS 200, Karman, Hanatech. Plus that number you have come up with is not even a P0 code. You can check the TPS with a scope and if it is faulting you would see it pretty easy. Even using a scan tool that has a scope on it would be useful even though they are extremely slow. Your traction off will be in conjunction with your ABS modulator and by looking at this number you have posted could possibly be a coding conflict. If this is the case you can only recode this with the Tech2. You say you keep throwing money at this to get it fixed so what have you actually replaced so far? What have you actually paid for? Scans to clear codes at different workshops? Why do you think its TPS? Is it throwing a tps code? Idle motor i would be checking duty cycle to make sure that it is doing what it should and then checking its actual operation. Looks like your taking it to holden so post up the outcome as im interested in what it will be.