Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

idle issues

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey all

I'm about to try and fix these 2 main issues i have atm but while im doing maybe someone cna help me out incase i dont achieve much :p

Okay my choke runs and open as as normal in under 3 mins or even under 2.

when i've got my idle adjust oon the best setting i cna get which is 1200rpm atm, but if i take the advance vaccumline off near the dizzy, it idles like new at 850rpm but increase with the line back on.. what causing this? im going to check if my lines blocked..

2 # i must have a small error in my timing, everythings good apart from when its it gear in dies..

My plunger holds in revs at 1200 after the screw comes off the cam after the choke is done. :thumbsup:

ps. my car is auto.

mixer screws is at 2.5 was at 2. <-- almost all the way in.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The reason it idles faster with the vaccum hose on is because the vaccum advance is working. A more advanced ignition will make it idle faster. Try loosening your distributor and turning it to bring your idle speed back to where you want it.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Tree cutter said:
The reason it idles faster with the vaccum hose on is because the vaccum advance is working. A more advanced ignition will make it idle faster. Try loosening your distributor and turning it to bring your idle speed back to where you want it.

Cheers mate :D I had to turn it down abit to lower it so that would be advanced? ?

Anyboy know how i can adjust my timing so she wont die when i put her in D Drive? By turning the dizzy? i don't like touching the dizzy much so i wont go ahead and do it yet.

Last edited:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Just went and got some fuel for tommorow when im back at this again :p , not doing it atm as i have respect for my street and its very quite atm.

Anything to look for or i should be doing to get it to idle in drive?

thanks in advance

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Your idling is to do with your carby and carby only. If your barge is tuned, meaning that the spark on cylinder one is firing at the right time, then your distributor doesn't need adjusting. Get your timing light and connect the lead to spark plug one. The timing scale should show it to be at 6 degrees.
Find a mate who knows about carbs or get the manual out and read it thoroughly. The mixture setting on the carb should never have been touched. The idle screw only needs to be adjusted if nessesary. Usually it doesn't need to be touched at all. Check for air leaks around the carb. If nessesary, pull the carb off and rebuild it and use a new base gasket, bolt up to about 20nm. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb and have a mate crank the engine while you put the fuel hose into a jar. Make sure there is fuel flowing nicely.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Oh yeah, don't assume every single problem with a car is timing. Virtually all cars on the road with electronic ignition never need adjusting.